Student Feedback Notification Email Without Grade

Student Feedback Notification Email Without Grade

by Bryce Holland -
Number of replies: 2

Greetings,

I have an instructor at a university who uses the bulk upload of feedback files via a ZIP file. That is working fine, however the email notifications are not being sent to the students. In the process of replicating this using my test Moodle site, I realized that this instructor is only uploading feedback files, and not adding grades. The point is that the students may not read the feedback if they see the grades first.

However, my testing revealed that the feedback email notification to students will not send if feedback is submitted without grades. As soon as I entered in a grade and clicked submit, the email was sent.

Is it possible to have email notifications send to students when feedback is uploaded, regardless of grades?

The version of Moodle we are running is 3.1. Supposedly this was not an issue with version 2.8.

Thank you for your time.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bryce Holland

Re: Student Feedback Notification Email Without Grade

by Bryce Holland -

Alright, for those who may have a similar issue, I was able to work around this by using the "Use Marking Workflow" option in the "Grade" section of the assignment settings.

After uploading the feedback files, the email notifications can be sent to the students by selecting all users in the "View all submission" page, and then choose the "Set marking workflow state" from the "With selected" drop-down. Next, choose "Released', and then "Yes" to notify students. The email notifications for the feedback will then be sent, even without any grades entered.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)