Report on Number of Users Using Enrolment Key

Re: Report on Number of Users Using Enrolment Key

by Stephanie Vance -
Number of replies: 1
Unfortunately, I'm having problems even getting these keys set up properly. I think I was in error referring to "users". These would be people we wouldn't be registering at all -- i.e., guests

Here's what I'd like to be able to do:

Have my client send a direct course link to potential participants (i.e., the one that ends with /course/view.php?id=[]). They send an enrolment key as part of that e-mail.

Participants can click on the link, enter the enrolment key, and go directly to the course WITHOUT having to go through the step of creating a user account.

I can then go and see how many people used the enrolment key to get into the class.

I have followed the directions here: https://docs.moodle.org/32/en/Enrolment_key.

I've tried two methods:

• Set an enrolment key for the course (allowing groups), hide guest. I get to a landing page that says "guest access not allowed for this course". The user is taken to the screen where they have to set up an account. We don't want them to have to do that.
  • Set an enrolment key for the course (allowing groups), unhide guest access. I get to a screen that says "Guests cannot access this course, Please log in." and, below that "Guest Access" with a place to enter the passcode.
When I enter the guest passcode, they can get into the class. But I can't get information on how many guests came into the class with that code.

Is what I'm looking for even possible?

In reply to Stephanie Vance

Re: Report on Number of Users Using Enrolment Key

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

<<But I can't get information on how many guests came into the class with that code. Is what I'm looking for even possible?>>

Since there is one and only one guest account, all these people are exactly the same as far as Moodle is concerned: one anonymous guest accessing the course many times.

Guests don't use the enrollment keys because enrollment keys only pertain to proper enrollment of normal users using self-enrollment. Once used and enrolled, the enrollment key is not needed again by that user.

The password you set for Guest access on a course is separate from that (and should be different.)

The way to get information you want is from the site logs. You could search the logs for that specific course for guest access and then by counting the number of unique IP addresses, you will have a rough number of distinct accesses to that course. (Provided of course you are logging guest access, which you should be). If your site is using something like Google Analytics, that will give you similar data.