How do I remove "hidden" courses from Front page?

How do I remove "hidden" courses from Front page?

by Katrina Belcher -
Number of replies: 12

Hello - I have "List of Courses" chosen for my Front Page option.

Naturally, I don't want my HIDDEN courses to be listed, however, the are...

How do I change this and make it so my hidden courses are not listed?

This is my site: http://elitemmareferees.com/Workshops/

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Katrina Belcher

Re: How do I remove "hidden" courses from Front page?

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

Katrina,

"Hidden" courses are not visible to normal users or even to those enrolled in them as Students.

Anyone enrolled in a course at Teacher level can see a hidden course, but not other hidden courses they are not enrolled as Teacher in.

Admins and site-wide Managers can see all hidden courses.

If you want to hide such courses even from yourself and other admins, then you could probably do so in your theme with some custom css and hide them totally. But then would would not see them at all and have to change your theme back if you needed to see them yourself for any reason.

In reply to Randy Thornton

by Katrina Belcher -
Hello - and thanks so much for  your response!

I do know and agree that NORMALLY they are not visible; and in fact they used to not be, however, they suddenly started appearing on my front page.

Not being logged in, please take a look: http://elitemmareferees.com/Workshops/

See the last two Courses called Referee Training Part A and Referee Training Part B?  Those are both hidden, yet they show up on my front page.

I don't want them on there, as I don't want people to try and enroll in those courses.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again -
Katrina

by Katrina Belcher -

Here's a screenshot of those hidden courses.

Attachment hiddenEMMARFiles.png

by Randy Thornton -

The screenshot shows that the "eye" icon for both the category and the courses is open, which indicates those courses are not hidden. 

Click the eye icon on both the category and the courses to hide them. Or go into the courses and in Edit settings set the Visibility to Hide. 

Hidden course names should also be dimmed to a grey color as well (though that depends on your theme of course.) and not the regular link color.

by Katrina Belcher -

Hi Randy!

Thank you again for your assistance and detailed instructions - much appreciated.

I'm wondering, however, if I do that, will those courses then be unusable? Not sure how else to ask this question, so please bear with me!

They are meta courses and attached to the MMA Ref Workshops Parts 1 & 2, respectfully.  If I click on the eyes to hide them in both the category and course areas...will they still be connected to the Part 1 & 2 Workshops?

Thank you!

Katrina

by Randy Thornton -

Katrina,

Ah, metacourses. So, enrollments in Metacourses work whether the courses are hidden or not, meaning the enrollment synchronization works properly even if the courses are all hidden.

Whether you should hide them depends on whether the students enroll themselves. Assuming you have a typical set up of parent course with content and multiple child courses with the enrollment methods, then:

- If you as admin or an instructor are enrolling users to the child courses (via manual or cohorts for example)  then you could hide the child courses and users would still get enrolled in the parent (content) course, which should be visible to them.

- If students are enrolling themselves in the child courses (via Self-enrollment or PayPal for example) , then the child courses must be visible for them to see so that they enroll themselves in them.

A frequent request for Meta courses is that students should only see the parent course on their course list and not the child course. But unfortunately, it just doesn't work that way. If you want students to be actively enrolling in the child course, then it has to be visible and they will see they are enrolled in both it and the parent meta course. So it pays to name the courses clearly so they know which one is the "real" course they should go into to do their work.

by Randy Thornton -

Here's a tip that may help: 

In Front page > Edit settings > Maximum number of courses, you can set the number of courses to show on the front page listing. 

So set that number low enough so that only the courses in the manage category / course order you want are showing up there. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Katrina Belcher -

Brilliant - I'll try that, Randy...because the previous suggestion had me totally confused. Heh.

I setup these courses a few years back, and I was having a hard time figuring out which courses were attached to which parent/child/meta course and how to figure all that out. Hopefully this will work, thank you so much!

by Randy Thornton -

Katrina,

Great, I hope that works for you.

Yes, I know how that feels. You really have to go down into the enrollment methods to see the connections between the meta parts. Site admin > Plugins > Enrollments will show that you have Meta courses and how many, but not by name. I usually name them in a way to remind me; I tend to call the child ones 'Sign up' courses.

If you have either of the two custom report tools, Configurable reports block or the Ad-hoc database queries report, you can use this query code  to show all the Meta courses and relationships. 

Randy

by Does This Display -

You said "If you want to hide such courses even from yourself and other admins, then you could probably do so in your theme with some custom css and hide them totally. But then would would not see them at all and have to change your theme back if you needed to see them yourself for any reason."

Seems that is close to a dead end - almost going off a cliff.  I would think dead ends should be fixed.  I do not know how many times I have come across what I call poorly written programs that allow a user to accidentally (as simple as a wrong key press with no warnings) follow a dead end with no hope of return.  When it is an accident, no one knows what happened or how to get back or out.

In reply to Does This Display

by Just H -

Seems that is close to a dead end - almost going off a cliff.  I would think dead ends should be fixed.  I do not know how many times I have come across what I call poorly written programs that allow a user to accidentally (as simple as a wrong key press with no warnings) follow a dead end with no hope of return.  

I see where you are coming from (way back when when first getting into this sort of thing I had set up a site and in PHPMyAdmin I clicked a button while thinking to myself "I wonder what this does" ... soon found out, and deleting the whole database without even an "Are you sure..." pop up sucked!). That said, not the case here when a person would have to deliberately add specific CSS to hide something 

In reply to Does This Display

by Randy Thornton -

As Just H says, not the case here. Check over in the Themes forum for many good examples people have shared of using CSS to improve their sites. Indeed, a (or maybe even the) main point of abstracted presentation layer technologies like CSS is to make possible the control of interfaces without having to change functional layer code. CSS is code, too, after all, but with a different scope than PHP or Javascript. You'll see some useful discussions about such issues over in the Themes forum, and of course in the Dev forums and Tracker.