Question type: Make 3 sets

Question type: Make 3 sets

by Richard Samson -
Number of replies: 7

Moodle 3.1

Hi!

Is there a question type for dividing answers into, say, three sets?

For example, the question could be:

Divide the following items into numbers, months and colours.

One, Two, Three, April, July, May, Red, Green, Blue

I can't think how to do this!

Any help appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Samson

Re: Question type: Make 3 sets

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

If you can install plugins you could do something like that with the gapfill question type. See this example

https://docs.moodle.org/31/en/Gapfill_question_type#Tables_with_category_columns

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Richard Samson -

Thanks a lot, Marcus. That's a great help.

I didn't know about this possibility. I will check it out.

Roll on, Moodle!

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I know you can do this with gapfill, which is good. You can also sort-of use drag-and-drop markers.

However, I do wonder if a dedicated question type for this, with and editing form optimised for setting it up, would be worthwhile.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Indeed the requirement to create tables and then enter the broken bars [lion|tiger] etc is not ideal.  Some type of wizard in Gapfill might make it easier.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Matthias Giger -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Some years ago Felix Riesterer wrote a quiz framework which used a similar question type for simple HTML pages.

All users had to do, was to fill in a table and then Javascript transformed it into the question type where users had to drag items into the correct row. Maybe this could be helpful trying to adjust gapfill.

Here ist the link: http://www.felix-riesterer.de/main/seiten/quizze_en.html

In reply to Matthias Giger

by Richard Samson -

Thanks for all the feedback.

I tried out the gapfill table syntax and it works fine but goung into code view is beyond most teachers' comfort zone.

Still, there is a big difference between "possible but picky" and impossible.

As for Felix Reisterer's framework, I haven't tried it. I can see that it is flexible in terms of results but once again the deal breaker IMO would be if teachers have a visual authoring tool or have to manipulate HTML code directly.

Thanks once again.

by Marcus Green -

"and it works fine but going into code view is beyond most teachers' comfort zone"

Normal human beings should never be expected to write html tags. The atto editor does have a table wizard but that is only a partial help. In my view button that invokes a javsacript wizard would make things much easier, but I am not in a position to create that for the foreseeable future.