Deny Self Enrollment Capability? - Guest Access?

Re: Deny Self Enrollment Capability? - Guest Access?

by Emma Richardson -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Are you just sharing information in the course or do they need to actually submit stuff?

If just sharing information, just open it up to the guest role but then do not actually add the students to the site.  Then they will only have the guest role and not be able to get into other courses.

Alternatively, you could add an enrolment key to the courses that you don't want them to access and only give it out to those students that should be able to enrol.

Or you could possibly play with permissions - (Note, I have not tried this but worth a go maybe!!) - copy the student role and call it something relevant like "coursename student", then remove the View Courses without Participation permission.  Then manually enroll them in the course you want them to be able to access.  I think that maybe that will allow them to get to that course but not see any other courses but I am not totally sure!

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Chris Chapman -

Thanks Emma,

Unfortunately there is participation (quizzes, conditional release and progress bar) so Guest access is no good.

Also as we have about 3,000 courses with self enrollment, don't think I could change them all to run with keys and notify all staff and prospective students!

Tried the permission change, but made no difference, think the 'Authenticated User' role is overriding it, any ideas how I can ensure this new role overrides Authenticated User?

Cheers,

In reply to Chris Chapman

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Not that it helps, but there is an old tracker issue about this with someone with similar needs: MDL-45849

In reply to Chris Chapman

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I think if you move the role above authenticated user in the list, it changes the priority....note the "I think" part of that!!