Moodle for mobile

Supporting an activity for Mobile (in this case H5P)

Picture of Joris Moodle
Supporting an activity for Mobile (in this case H5P)

Thank you for all your hard work on Moodle Mobile!! I have a question but am unsure to whom I should direct it. I’d like to have H5P activities supported in the Moodle Mobile app. Is this something H5P should develop, or is this something the Moodle Mobile team would have to do?

Average of ratings: -
ME
Re: Supporting an activity for Mobile (in this case H5P)
Core developers

This is something the H5P team would need to do. Moodle 3.2 has full support for module creators to add mobile support to their modules just like the Moodle core plugins have.

They can review the documentation if they are interested in doing that. 

Better question would be is Moodle HQ interested in incorporating H5P as a core moodle plugin.

Picture of Joris Moodle

Thanks Jason, and I agree it would be amazing if MoodleHQ would integrate H5P as a core Moodle plugin! It would give teachers many options to make courses more interesting.

Picture of Juan Leyva
Core developersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Hello,

there is a plugin for H5p, see https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=mod_hvp

The developers of that plugin could support the activities via a remote add-on, as Jason said

Juan

Picture of Svein-Tore Griff With

Thank you for linking up the relevant documentation. I had a quick look at the documentation. I'm not quite sure if I understand. Would we need to create a fork of the Moodle for mobile app and add H5P support to it, as well as adding more web-services through the current H5P plugin?

Regarding core Moodle plugin I think that could do wonders, but it might be a bit too early. There are many very important features that are bing added to the H5P core these days. Being part of core probably means being part of the core release cycle. I think H5P would benefit from its own release cycle until more of the vision has been implemented. H5P Hub, server-side evaluation of answers, in place editing are some of the things that are coming. Hopefully this year.

Picture of Joris Moodle

@Juan Leyva:

Svein-Tore from H5P estimated that to implement this, 6.000 lines of code need to be written. Surely supporting the H5P activity via the remote add-on could be realised more efficiëntly? The team at H5P is willing to realise this, but they will need a little bit of help. Could you please steer them in the right direction?

warm regards,

Joris

Picture of Dani Palou
Core developersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Hi Joris,

if the plugin is quite complex it's possible that you require a lot of code to create the remote addon. For example, the assign addon has more than 6000 lines of code (including feedback/submission subplugins and offline support).

You should look for a core module that is similar to yours and use that mobile addon as an example to develop yours. I've never worked with your Moodle plugin so I'm not sure how it works. Maybe you could implement a simple version first, with just the basic features, and improve it in the future.

Kind regards,

Dani

Picture of Juan Leyva

Hi Joris,

can you ask Svein-Tore to contact me via moodle.org private messaging? We are working in a new approach for supporting modules in the app.

Regards, Juan

Picture of Joris Moodle

yes done

Picture of Dani Palou
Core developersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Hello Svein-Tore,

we recommend downloading the app's code and creating a new addon in it, like you were creating a custom app with your addon. IMO it makes it easier to develop and test it.

Once your addon is ready and it works in your copy of the app, you can package the addon's code and put it in your Moodle plugin (here's the documentation on how to do it). You don't need to upload the whole app's code, just your addon.

I guess your addon will have to communicate with Moodle to get extra data, so you'll have to develop the WebServices to be able to get this data and interact with Moodle.

We're aware that the documentation can be better, so we encourage developers to improve it while they develop their remote addons. Please let us know if you have any question smile

Kind regards,

Dani

Picture of Joris Moodle

We are now looking for either:

-Devs that have created support for an activity in Moodle Mobile before, to collaborate with

-Parties that would be willing to fund a part of the development

Any help would be much appreciated!

Picture of Ketan Deore

Any update for H5P plugin support to the Moodle mobile App.

Picture of Juan Leyva

Hi,

we just published the specs of the new way of supporting plugins in the app:

https://moodle.com/development/feature-friday-mobile-support-plugins/

Now it should be easier to support a plugin in the app

Regards, Juan

(Editado por Dani Palou - envío original lunes, 19 de marzo de 2018, 19:19)