Competencies and badges

Competencies and badges

by Federica Marra -
Number of replies: 1

Dear all,

we will upgrade our Moodle to 3.1 in the upcoming weeks and I was looking and the new features coming with the new version.
The idea of the competencies and the learning plan is GREAT!

We had already implemented it in a way through the badges, linking them to an external system. But having the option of keeping track of everything within Moodle is better from my point of view.

Maybe it is a silly question, but I was wondering when the competencies will be linked with badges?
I saw in the developers forum that this link was out of the scope of the moodle release. https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Competency_Based_Education#Further_work_.28out_of_scope_for_first_release.29

It will be great for us if we could have this feature! Looking forward to your comments.

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Federica Marra

Re: Competencies and badges

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Not directly, as far as I know. A fulfilled competency is as much a reward as a badge is, technically speaking. You could connect both to a single activity though:

Upon completion:

- reward badge X
- mark competency Y as completed

It's a bit of a fuss, because you'd have to manage this construction in 2 places, but I guess it's the way this works in Moodle at the moment (unless someone has another idea).