Accessing Moodle Installation from another system on Linux

Accessing Moodle Installation from another system on Linux

by morola oyedele -
Number of replies: 3

hello good people,

I installed moodle on a Linux server, i need to access it from outside the machine, i located the config.php and changed localhost/moodle to IP address/Moodle but i am not able to access it, kindly help

thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to morola oyedele

Re: Accessing Moodle Installation from another system on Linux

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

There are serveral linux versions ... they do behave slightly differently ... so what flavor of distro do you have?   Ubuntu, CentOS, Other?

Is the web server accessible by itself ... config for apache has sto be setup and functioning first before moodle code.   Is the web service running?

ps aux |grep httpd (CentOS/RH family)

or

ps -aux |grep apache2 (Ubutnu/Debian family)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by morola oyedele -

hello Ken,

thank you for the response, its a redhat installation, i am new to Linux but my environment is a large enterprise with about 6000 users so the windows installation is not going to be stable. i will check the web service

In reply to morola oyedele

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Thanks for sharing specfics to environment - but just one more detail ... makes a diff.

RHEL could be either 6 or 7 ... if brand new, I would assume version 7.   Example diffs just for server firewall: in 6 iptables in 7 firewall command.

That means you should also have entitlements with RH and I also assume you have a support contract with RH itself.

6000 users, BTW, isn't really so large ... what's more important is usage ... courses offered from a college/edu/corp typically would use async ... where as a K12 an some entities woul use the moodle in face-2-face situations with teacher and students hitting the moodle all together - ie, moodle usage is sync.

BTW, this year, have done (or supported) exact same move ... Windows to RHEL 7 for a large Houston ISD (approx 11,000 users using sync)  instance of Moodle   Doable with a few bumps/issues but resolveable.

'spirit of sharing', Ken