Suggestions for grading attendance

Re: Suggestions for grading attendance

by Ben McLuckie -
Number of replies: 0
Yes to Adam's and Jason's comments! My current non-moodle system uses 15 different marks, all with different point values that are calculated into a student's total grade: A (absent, 0 points), AE (absent excused, 4 points), SR (school related absence excused, 4 points) and so forth... I don't wish to bore you!

The addsession.php page is good: it allows you to customize the acronym, description, and percentage. All I need is to be able to specify the number of different marks. Right now, the number of marks is fixed at 4. I believe this tweak would also meet Jason's needs, and most other teachers. Then I would just convert my point system to the existing percentage system - no big deal.

As a brute force hack, I did go into the moodle database, 'mdl_attendance_settings' table and insert rows for all the extra marks I wished to use. Vola! They magically appeared in addsession.php. big grin However, they did NOT appear in report.php nor takeattendance.php pages, which are big problems! Also, the inserting needs to be repeated with every class which is laborous. black eye

I have been reviewing the php pages in question. Unfortunately, I don't know php which makes me always dangerous, never productive. Is anyone else messing around with this?? I want this fix, and I want it bad enough to hurt myself (late nights beating my head). Attendence is the only piece of my classroom grading that I haven't migrated to Moodle yet.