Human Logic attendance block 1.2

Human Logic attendance block 1.2

by Somaroy Gabbita -
Number of replies: 17

HI ,

We are very happy to announce the 1.2 release version of Attendance block. It can also be found in the CVS contrib section of moodle. Iam happy to notify all of you that this time round this block upgrades itself smoothely without corrupting any existing data. But please go through the ReadMe.txt file before you install it. The main enhancements are

-Global settings available for attendance block, for uniform standardized attendance policies across the system.
-Individual course settings available in attendance block. Each instructor can customize his/her course attendance as per their individual policies. These settings will override the global settings for the attendance block.
-Customized weighting is now available for excused, absent and late options.
-Report tab, intially designed by Dimitry, has been fixed with large modifications.

Regards,

Somaroy Gabbita. 

Human Logic FZ LLC

Dubai

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Somaroy Gabbita

Re: Human Logic attendance block 1.2

by Miroslav Fikar -
I have tried the new 1.2 version with the following results:
1. when upgrading from 1.0.1 the uprage says 4 times error. After that, the global settings show multiple warnigs and overall the block does not work correctly:

http://localhost/www/moodle/admin/block.php?block=21
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in C:\www\www\moodle\blocks\attendance\config_global.html on line 65

http://localhost/www/moodle/blocks/attendance/addsession.php?course=56
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in C:\www\www\moodle\blocks\attendance\addsession.php on line 127

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in C:\www\www\moodle\blocks\attendance\lib.php on line 168

2. The fresh install goes smoothly (7 times success), but before it I had to delete all attendance data from past months. So this is not possible to do on a production server. Global configuration works OK. In the course level, 'Setings' and 'Report' are OK, but 'Take attendance' leads to the following error and nothing else is displayed:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected $end in C:\www\www\moodle\blocks\attendance\takeattendance.php on line 163

Thanks for the block, it is definitely better than the version 1.1. However, due to the above bug and the fact, that I cannot preserve the attendance data, it is for me not suitable on our production server.

In reply to Miroslav Fikar

by Somaroy Gabbita -

Hi Miroslav

Iam sorry to hear that from you that you had problems with the attendance block. but as i see your problems i understand that you have used the 1.0.1 edition which was not what human logic released. that version by dmitry had some problems in that which i guess is the cause for the errors you received. Anyways i will check if can help you in a way.

Regards,

Somaroy Gabbita.

Human Logic FZ LLC

by Tim Allen -
but as i see your problems i understand that you have used the 1.0.1 edition which was not what human logic released.

Hmm, I think version 1.01 is in CVS though, in contrib/block_attendance - who put it in there?

Tim.

by Dmitry Pupinin -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
> Report tab, intially designed by Dimitry, has been fixed **with large modifications**.

Thank you very much! surprise sad sad
But why you remove full stats???
Do you suggest select each day from dropdown menu instead one page with full statistics?

by Michael Deane -

Seems to be some conflict with the activity modules block using postgres?

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare activity_modules_upgrade() (previously declared in /var/www/html/moodle/blocks/activity_modules/db/postgres7.php:21) in /var/www/html/moodle/blocks/attendance/db/postgres7.php on line 29

If I delete the activity modules block and remove the directory, I can install the blocks but have errors creating the acronyms.  I will have a look and see what is happening.

In reply to Michael Deane

by Tim Allen -
Hi,

The more recent versions of this block are highly unstable and buggy. evil I have stuck with the first version which seems the only one that works. I'll be interested to see if you can get it working. wink

Tim.

by Michael Deane -
Well it seems that there is no postgres sql in the postgres.sql file. Having created the tables and initial entries, there is a problem with the way the block handles times. I think we need to use unix timestamps as in other modules and store them as an integer in the db. I will have a bit more of a play.
In reply to Michael Deane

by Dmitry Pupinin -
> I think we need to use unix timestamps as in other modules and store them as an integer in the db.

Yes! I was make this changes in block, but Human Logic didn't implement it in official version... I don't know why...

In the near future I will back to developing this block and will merge my change to lastest version of block.

by Ben McLuckie -
Is there any way to have the % from the attendance block automatically reported to the gradebook? Then at the gradebook, you would have the normal control - category weight, hide/show, exceptions, etc.

Thanks for the block! I have been playing around with the php and attendance tables so I can have 13 attendance categories (a full range of daily points, in addition to tardy, late, excused, etc.)

PS. It would be great to get this figured out before January 17, the start of my new semester big grin
In reply to Ben McLuckie

by Ben McLuckie -
Also, on the report tab it would be good to report the accumulated percentage for attendance for each student, a calculation like what is done from the attendance block when a student logs in. Right now I can manually calculate it using a calculator, but aren't computers supposed to be tedium busters smile

Thanks again!

by M Moodley -
Hi Somaroy,

Great job with the attendance block: Installed onto a test server with moodle 1.5.3 and it works great.

Would now like to add to our production machine to help teachers record attendance for each class. The problem is that we have 10 day cycle (over 2 weeks- Week1 = Mon to Fri and Week2 = Monday to Friday), with weekends between.

Is there any way to double the number of weeks, so that a lessons can be selected over 2 weeks rather than the current 1 week.

Quick Note: (Not to much thaught about this idea)
For wider use, on first setup of each instance of the block, let the user select the number of lessons over a flexable period : Not related to a date, or date added at the point the attendance is done - what issues would this cause?

Mervyn
In reply to M Moodley

by Dmitry Pupinin -
Try to use 1.0.x branch. This more stable and have more features but incompatible with 1.2
In reply to Dmitry Pupinin

Re: Human Logic attendance block 1.2-HELP

by Bhupinder Singh -

Hi Dmitry,

Look for your help and guidance as to what should be used in a production environment.

Garry

by Bhupinder Singh -

Hi Somaroy,

I shall be grateful for the link to the latest release(stable).

Garry 

by Robin Trangmar -
Firstly thanks for the work you've done on the attendance block for Moodle. Really useful! I've been playing and found that when I added a new session, it popped a reminder into the news forum, which is a great idea, as the students will get a message batched out to them daily.
There is a spelling error in the header, and the date format and context is for the US - is there a way to change this to a UK/European setting please? I've had a rummage (!) but can't find the code ...

The string is:
Important: New Class Sessions - Students, I've added an additional class session for the week of 2006-2-14. Thanq you. -Prof Robin Trangmar

Is it possible to change the date string to 14-2-2006 ... and to remove the Prof. Professor in the US is a teacher, but in the UK it has the status of Exalted One!
It's caused a lot of laughter at work anyway.
Thanks again for the hard work
In reply to Robin Trangmar

by Robert Trim -
"....but in the UK it has the status of Exalted One!"  Does it get you a raise?  If so, let'em laugh and take it to the bank.clown