LDAP with Active Directory - Failover to secondary server delays before connection successful.

Re: LDAP with Active Directory - Failover to secondary server delays before connection successful.

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Joe,

it should work with any LDAP server. All the connection timeout handling is done client-side in the PHP LDAP code. Which in turn simply uses the LDAP client libraries that were used to build the PHP LDAP extension. Most of the time this is OpenLDAP client library (although if I remember right, you could compile PHP using Oracle's or Novell's LDAP libraries, if you had any of those at hand).

The only thing (that I can think of) that could make a difference is using a diffent LDAP client library. Either not using OpenLDAP libraries, or using a different -older- version of the OpenLDAP client library that doesn't implement connection timeout handling (or implement it in a buggy way).

Saludos. Iñaki.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

Re: LDAP with Active Directory - Failover to secondary server delays before connection successful.

by Joe Dutro -

Iñaki,

I am sorry that I have not replied and update you on this question.  We used your php code and was successful in setting the timeout.  We were able to test in our sandbox and this works very well.  We went to add this to our production moodle and discovered a few odd things in our Acitve Directory communication with our DNS servers and network.  After showing the data to our Network Admins and having them look around it turns out that our SD servers where not correctly added in our DNS and replication and communication was running around in circles attempting to communicate.  After the issues were corrected and your php code was added we were successful.  I will make sure to remind our admins that this change has been made so they can maintain it as we update.

I truly appreciate your assistance with this question.  

Joe Dutro