Upgrade plugin to Open Badges specification 2.0

Upgrade plugin to Open Badges specification 2.0

by Kamen Ivanov -
Number of replies: 7

Hello,

I'm a project manager from a company called NashTech. We've been contracted by the department within Open University that manages the OpenLearn website to support the website. 

A new version of the Open Badges specification was published at the end of 2016 - https://openbadgespec.org/

Our client would like us to update the badge plugin to support the new specification and submit the code to the community. I believe the aim is for existing badges to continue to work, but to have the option to issue badges that follow the new specification.

I will ask the developers from NashTech who will do the work to get involved in this discussion, but I wanted to start the conversation and ask for your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,

Kamen

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Kamen Ivanov

Re: Upgrade plugin to Open Badges specification 2.0

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I think that's a very welcome development. Be good for you to tie in with Simon Coggins too.
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Kamen Ivanov -

Hi Jon,

How do I find out what Simon Coggins is doing? I can't see a recent post from him here.

Thanks,

Kamen

In reply to Kamen Ivanov

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Apologies Kamen - I was away at the weekend and responding too quickly! Simon and Jake are working on the (currently broken) connection between Moodle and the Mozilla OpenBadges Backpack - see MDL-57429 for more info.

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Tien Nguyen -

Hi Jon,

I'm Tien Nguyen, developer from Nashtech. I'm working for OpenLearn website that Kamen mention above.

The Open Badge specification 2.0 have many changes listed here: https://openbadgespec.org/history/2.0.html

Do the Moodle team have a plan to upgrade Moodle badge to apply these changes?

It seem that we have a lot of things to do. If there are no plan, could we start our development as soon as possible?

In reply to Tien Nguyen

by Marina Glancy -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hello Tien,

thanks for this initiative. Moodle HQ currently does not have Badges upgrade in the plans and we will appreciate your contributions to it. Badges were initially introduced to Moodle by Totara but they no longer support it or participate in discussions, so it, unfortunately has become slightly orphaned component.

I also have not found any issues about specification 2.0 in the tracker: list of open badges issues. I will recommend you to create an issue first and link it to all related issues and attach specification of your proposed work. I know it's tempting to fix all issues at once but please try to be very specific. Moodle HQ will help by providing reviews and early discussions.

Thanks again.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marina Glancy

by Kamen Ivanov -

Hi Marina,

Would you please have a look at the issue that Tien raised and let us know if you are ok for us to proceed with development.

Thanks,

Kamen