Cannot Install Moodle 3.2.

Cannot Install Moodle 3.2.

by Ernie Havermale -
Number of replies: 4

I have hit a wall with installing Moodle 3.2. When I run the install process through the web I get the screen showing the components being installed but eventually the screen receives an internal server error. At first I thought this was a time out so I increased my PHP and Apache server time outs to 50 mins, just to be sure. This error occurs at random times and random components so it doesn't seem tied to one particular thing.

When I try to run this using the below cli command :

/usr/local/zendsvr6/bin/php /www/starslms/htdocs/moodleCurVer/admin/cli/install.php

the program outputs this string of characters:

èÇÁ Ä?>ÃÑÅÍÊ/ÈÑ?> ÃÑ%Á Ä?>ÃÑÅ øÇø /%ÊÁ/À` ÁÌÑËÈË  &%Á/ËÁ ÍËÁ /À_Ñ>Ä%ÑÑ>ËÈ/%%¬À/È/Â/ËÁ øÇø È? Ñ>ËÈ/%% (??À%Á Ã?Ê ÈÇÑË ËÑÈÁ   $ 

I am using an AS400 iseries server running zendserver 8 and php 5.6.28. I have checked the CCSID and it is set to 37. The permissions on all files are open as needed. 

Does someone have a solution for this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ernie Havermale

Re: Cannot Install Moodle 3.2.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Unfortunately I suspect AS400 experience if going to be very thin on the ground around here. I believe you can run different operating systems on it, so what are we looking at here?

When it went wrong the first time did you check the web server's error log?

The cli problem looks rather like a character set mismatch. The 'default_charset' is set in php.ini but I don't ever recall having to change it from UTF8 (make sure you are looking at the right php.ini for your CLI PHP). But if whatever you're typing commands into isn't UTF8 then it might explain it. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Ernie Havermale -

We are running under the default Unix OS standard on the AS400. 

The server log doesn't say anything was wrong, the php server log shows:

Can not read response from /usr/local/ZendSvr6/bin/php-cgi.bin (0.0) - [0] There is no error.

Which without a program or line to work with is pretty useless. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I think you might be out there in weird operating system land unfortunately. That is, on your own. 

I don't recall any mention of AS400 (I know it's not actually called that now - officially) in recent times. 

Having said that Googling, "Can not read response...." has quite a lot of vaguely useful looking hits. 

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Running Moodle on Unix on the AS400 is a very rare combination (I am old enough to remember it as the replacement for the IBM System 38).

That looks to me like a PHP problem rather than a Moodle problem, is PHP being processed at all?  I suspect that at even a modest rate per hour the time spent getting it all working on that machine you could have purchased and configured several standard Linux machines.