Theme Boost

Theme Boost

by Plínio Felipe Peçanha Oliveira -
Number of replies: 31

Guys, I'm here trying to see how this new moodle 3.2 theme feature Boost works. And I do not think I understood exactly how it works, or I have a problem.

When I set up to use the Boost Theme I should see something like this image

But by selecting the theme, I see it.

Please can someone help?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Plínio Felipe Peçanha Oliveira

Re: Theme Boost

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

You did not say which version of Moodle you are using as this is a requirement of this forum?

However, it looks like you have either not installed Moodle 3.2.1 correctly, because the Boost theme would be the default theme and work correctly from the start. Or you have loaded an old copy of the Boost theme to Moodle 3.1.

Can you explain what have you done to your site when installing and testing Boost?

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

Yes the version is 3.2, an upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2 has been made, just this. The Boost theme has not been modified. It was only selected.
Even in that format I go back without any problems, but I can not test Boost

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Which theme was in place before you 'selected' the Boost theme?

Did you add SCSS to the Boost settings page? If you did then that is more than likely the problem, as a missing semi-colon  ; is enough to break the theme!

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

First there was the Adaptable, I tried to pass first through CLEAN and then through Boost, but the problem continued.

About SCSS I did not add any configuration. I just selected the Boost theme

Thanks for help.

by Mary Evans -

It might be that it is nothing to do with Boost theme, but more to do with Adaptable!

Have you tried updating Adaptable for 3.2?

In reply to Mary Evans

I'm believing the problem might be on the server. The only theme installed was The Adaptable. The question is ... where can I look to find out if the problem is on the server?

Thank you very much for your support!

In reply to Mary Evans

News! I uninstalled the Adaptable and the Boost Theme Work! smile
  In another installation I uninstalled the Essentials and the Boost Theme Work! smile

Is it because it's happening like this?

Thanks for the support!

In reply to Mary Evans

I just found out why it worked. Theme Designer Mode must be enabled to work. But this mode designe makes our Moodle very slow. Is it a rule that it is enabled to work with Theme Boost?

by Mary Evans -

That is not true...I NEVER use Theme Designer Mode and Boost theme works OK.

When you first upgraded

Also which theme were you using at that time?o

Can you also tell me the actual version of that theme?

In reply to Mary Evans

It's a relief to know that we do not need the designer theme enabled. Just comment that it could be because it worked here only this way. I was using Moodle 3.1 and was upgraded to 3.2 until this time I never used the Boost theme. The theme used was the Adaptable, 1.3.1.1 2017012300

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You might try clearing your cache - sometimes that will cause issues like this.

In reply to Emma Richardson

I cleared the theme cache, but the error continues

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Have you made any site customizations that might have carried over through the upgrade perhaps?  Perhaps check permissions on your theme folders?

In reply to Emma Richardson

Without customization, an installation and an upgrade, it happened from 3.1 to 3.2.
The theme folder was with 755 permission changed to 777 but the same problem continues. Even in the Boost folder.

Could not it be something involving my server? The problem is that I did not imagine what it could be.
=(

Obrigado.

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

This reminds me this discussion: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=344118

In reply to Nicolas Martignoni

by Mary Evans -

Yes...I remember that now but it has been fixed In MDL-57319 so you need to upgrade to Moodle 3.2.1 which I thought you had already!

Can you upgrade and let me know how you get on?

Thanks

Mary

Thanks, it's a shame I can not change this php data at the moment because my server is shared. As I had said the problem may actually be on the server.

Thanks

And on my shared server, PHP max_execution_time is 30

by Mary Evans -

Is there no way to override that setting?

For Example:

Modifying the PHP.INI file
  1. Login to the cPanel.
  2. Find the File Manager in File section of the Cpanel. ...
  3. Navigate to the directory where you will either save or edit the PHP.INI file and then select the file and use the Code Editor. ...
  4. Edit the section of the PHP.INI that you wish to change.

Just a thought...

In reply to Mary Evans

We were able to change the max_execution_time to 300, but the problem still continues = /

by Yvonne van Lingen -

I've got the same situation and the same problem as Plínio. I took the same steps and changed the max_execution_time to 300 as well. The problem is still there!

In reply to Yvonne van Lingen

by Rainer Schaufelberger -

Hi there

I have the same problem:

- Moodle 3.3.1 fresh install

- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 with IIS

- MS SQL-Server 2014

- PHP 7.1

Rainer

In reply to Rainer Schaufelberger

by Frank Koch -
Picture of Plugin developers

I have the same Boost-theme problem on Moodle 3.3 under Ubuntu. The Boost-theme doesn't build up properly.

Luckily I'm able to switch back to More-theme

In reply to Frank Koch

by Mary Evans -

I was having similar problem with More theme strange as it may seem, but there is a problem is some servers that are set up to use xdebug using ZEND.

You could check to see if your SERVER is showing any ERRORS in the LOGS for PHP or APACHE?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Frank Koch -

Hello Mary

While Boost looks like this with endless spinning wheels

the Apache and PHP log doesn't contain any errors:

vim /var/log/apache2/error.log

[ 2017-07-20 06:25:32.3580 8251/7fb429dd0780 age/Wat/WatchdogMain.cpp:1301 ]: Starting Passenger watchdog...

[ 2017-07-20 06:25:32.3693 8254/7f1ed08fc780 age/Cor/CoreMain.cpp:982 ]: Starting Passenger core...

[ 2017-07-20 06:25:32.3694 8254/7f1ed08fc780 age/Cor/CoreMain.cpp:235 ]: Passenger core running in multi-application mode.

[ 2017-07-20 06:25:32.3709 8254/7f1ed08fc780 age/Cor/CoreMain.cpp:732 ]: Passenger core online, PID 8254

[ 2017-07-20 06:25:32.3813 8265/7f604c8d7780 age/Ust/UstRouterMain.cpp:529 ]: Starting Passenger UstRouter...

[ 2017-07-20 06:25:32.3818 8265/7f604c8d7780 age/Ust/UstRouterMain.cpp:342 ]: Passenger UstRouter online, PID 8265

[Thu Jul 20 06:25:32.408673 2017] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 1094] AH00163: Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu) SVN/1.9.3 Phusion_Passenger/5.0.27 OpenSSL/1.0.2g mod_perl/2.0.9 Perl/v5.22.1 configured -- resuming normal operations

[Thu Jul 20 06:25:32.408692 2017] [core:notice] [pid 1094] AH00094: Command line: '/usr/sbin/apache2'

We're experiencing the same problem on a Debian Linux as well.

Frank

In reply to Frank Koch

by Mary Evans -

Debian Linux is one of the Servers that was reported as being a victim of these oddities.

This link discusses the problems some of us have experienced but with the more theme, not Boost. But looks like Boost is just as vunerable in certain servers.

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=355139#p1433886

And the Moodle Tracker MDL-59188 is where it was reported.

Hope this helps?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Frank Koch -

Thank you Mary for the help. This morning we found the problem. The Boost rendering trouble was obviously caused by the Offline Quiz Plugin version 3.1.1 running on our server. The problem disappeared after an upgrade to Offline Quiz version 3.2.2.

Regards, Frank

Average of ratings: Useful (1)