latest stable version 3.2 release date

latest stable version 3.2 release date

by Ruth Pifer -
Number of replies: 7

Could someone please tell me when 3.2 was released as stable. Was it December 5, 2016? Or, was that a first release and not deemed stable until later? More precisely, On December 19, 2016, which version was the "latest stable version of Moodle?"

I'm grateful for your help.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ruth Pifer

Re: latest stable version 3.2 release date

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Please see:

https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Releases#Moodle_3.2

Comment ... if using git, it's not unusual to see 'release candidates' (RC's) that are still considered 'STABLE' when moodle marches upwards.    Eventually, the RC's are removed and there is only one.

IF, one jumps on board the latest and greatest, sometimes one doen't realize they really have the 'dev' version ... development ... ie, not considered 'stable'.

Then, also, there is the definition of 'stable' ... which I've read says it doesn't crash.   Hmmmmm.

Anyhoo, in the 'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Ruth Pifer -

Hello Ken,

I'm grateful for your help.

The link you provided is where I got my December 5, 2016 date.

The reason I'm asking is that my contract with a Moodle Partner says that they will provide the "latest stable version of Moodle" as of contract date, which was December 19, 2016.

I assumed that the December 5 release of 3.2 was going to be provided; however, I was provided with 3.1.3. 

Before calling them out on it, I want to confirm what was the "latest stable version of Moodle" on December 19, 2016.

Would you know this information?

In reply to Ruth Pifer

by Ken Task -

Cannot speak for a Moodle Partner.   Others in this forum, unless from that specific Moodle Partner, the same is true.   By all means point it out them ... provide the link to them.   But, before you do, look around on the Moodle Partner's site info ... look for any 'exceptions' ... ie, the fine print.   See if they follow the release dates for their customers.   Don't think MP's are bound/required to provide to their customers whatever Moodle HQ has released.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Ruth Pifer -

Thanks again, Ken.

My question is, "Is the December 5, 2016 release of 3.2 considered 'stable'?"

I appreciate your help.

In reply to Ruth Pifer

by Ken Task -

Uhhhh ... how could I possibly answer that question?

I don't work for Moodle HQ, not a programmer nor developer, nor do I work for an MP.  Thus the following is not official ... it's my own personal view (which isn't gonna impress an MP nor Moodle HQ!!!).  

It's released as 'STABLE' then think we have to all trust  that's true.  Now is 3.2 'STABLE'  I guess you are asking does it crash? ... bottom line ... for core stuff that's been in Moodle for years, I'd say that's true ... 3.2 is 'stable'. 

But, for new features that have been included in the release of 3.1 and thus into 3.2 (Search/Unoconv) they require some additional configuration/software to be installed and configured themselves.    Thus 3.2 might be 'STABLE' but bumpy road with things like Search and Unoconv.   Any provider, including MP's, can install a 3.2 for ya, but is it fully functioning .. Search/Unoconv actually work?

Don't host with a MP myself ... and don't host with a provider that did the install/config ... so maybe am not qualified to answer the question. ;)

Think you are going to ask questions of the MP where you host.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Ruth Pifer -

You have given me a very thorough and helpful answer.

Thank you so much!

In reply to Ruth Pifer

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I ran 3.2+ (Build 20161215) on 12/12/16.  It seemed stable to me.  I can't say that it is still stable because I upgraded to 3.2+ (Build 20170106) on 1/7/17.