Moodle research

"Learn Moodle August 2016" open data set now available!

Picture of Dmytro Kovalchuk
Re: "Learn Moodle August 2016" open data set now available!

Hi Elizabeth,

Thank you so much for your response! Much appreciated

My next questions are about completions and badges.

1. What criteria was used to mark users as Completed? I am trying to build a prediction algorithm that measures the risk of drop out/successful completion by each week of the course. 

I am trying to define a meaningful dependent variable to measure a completion. Can you provide any insight here?  

2. Also, there appear to be some discrepancies between data and the description. Badges table (mdl_badge_issued.csv) does not have badge names, only unique hash values. Which makes it impossible to see what type of badge students received. Is there a way to get these values?

Once again, thank you for you help.

P.S. I will be happy to share my results if you are interested.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Avi Segal

Hi Dmytro, 

Did you get an answer regarding the badges names? Knowing which type of badges each student got can also help us in our data analysis.

Thanks,

Avi.

Picture of Elizabeth Dalton
Moodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers
For this and all similar questions, please see the "readme" file that accompanies the data set:

https://research.moodle.net/158/3/anonymiseddatasetreadme.pdf

This answers the questions about why badges were awarded, as well as many other details of the data structures.

Regards,

Elizabeth

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Avi Segal

Hello Elizabeth,

Thank you for your repy.

I've read the file carefully when trying to use the data and I may be missing something.

The documentation clearly states that the badge name is supplied in the badges file.

Unfortunately the data itself seems to contain only anonymized versions of the badges names (a fact not mentioned in the documentation). This seems a mistake in the data post processing as it basically disables any analysis on specific badges (the same badge name seems to be anonymized differently on different occasions).

I may be missing something here and will be happy to get additional assistance.

Thanks,

Avi.