NGSS and C3 Framework (USA)

NGSS and C3 Framework (USA)

by Neil Johnson -
Number of replies: 12
Would love to see somebody prepare these sets of standards for import into Moodle competencies.

Next Generation Science Standards - http://www.nextgenscience.org/

College, Career, and Civic Life (C3) Framework for Social Studies State Standards - http://www.socialstudies.org/c3

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Neil Johnson

Re: NGSS and C3 Framework (USA)

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Neil,

Have you looked through the Achievement Standards Network at http://www.achievementstandards.org/resources/ASNJurisdiction/UK?order=title&sort=asc to see if someone has put them there in a format that is easy to move into Moodle? I know there is a National Science Education Standards and National Council for the Social Studies there on page four.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Neil Johnson -

Thank you AL,

Yes, the NGSS and C3 standards are there, but regrettably, not in the proper format for importing into Moodle.

In reply to Neil Johnson

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Neil,

I had not realized it, but I had already downloaded the Next Generation Science Standards form there and placed them in Moodle. Just a quick look, but I didn't see something that I recognized as C3 standards. Anyway, this is how I did it for NGSS.

This image they use for the download is actually two. The one I used is the left side 3 linked balls. Right click on it and select Save link as. I then always add the text name before completing the save to my local computer. This gives an XML type file which we need.

In Moodle when you go to Administration > Site Administration > Competencies, select Import competency framework from RDF. On the resulting page, Choose the file you just save. Set the scale to Default competence scale then click on Configure scales and mark Competent - Default and - Proficient, then Close and Import. Depending on your server it might take a bit as there are 353 competencies to create. Note: If you have your own scale set up, you can use it.

Hope this works for you.

Just in case I've attached a copy. To use it in Moodle, use the Import competency framework, instead of the Import competency framework from RDF.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Neil Johnson -

Here is the link to the National Council for the Social Studies C3 Framework

http://www.achievementstandards.org/resources/ASNJurisdiction/NCSS

Thanks for the NGSS. I used your file and they uploaded flawlessly. I am going to try your directions on the SS C3 standards.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Neil Johnson

by Neil Johnson -

Thanks again. I followed your directions for the C-3 framework and it worked well.  Attached is the CSV file.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Neil Johnson

by AL Rachels -

Excellent, glad to see it worked for you. I'm so sorry that I forgot to mention in the directions that "Import competency framework from RDF" would need to be installed. Thanks to Damyon for that, and creating the plugin, in the first place. It has saved me a bunch of time in the past.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Neil, thanks for sharing your competency framework.

To enable others to find it easily, I'd encourage you to add it to our Competency frameworks database. (You'll need to log in to moodle.net using your moodle.org account in order to add an entry to the database.)

In reply to Helen Foster

by Neil Johnson -

Just added  NGSS and C3 to moodle.net

In reply to Neil Johnson

by Brent Parkin -

Hi all,

On the back of this success, I am wondering if anyone knows about any more clearinghouses for curricula and frameworks other than the ASN?

I am currently looking for complete K-12 Curricula from around the world. (I noticed that, for instance, on the ASN site, the Scottish download is only for Science.) Presently, I am simply contacting education jurisdictions one by one requesting downloadable formats ...

Does anyone know of such an online resource?

Thanks!

In reply to Brent Parkin

by AL Rachels -

I don't know of any "complete K-12 Curricula" but Alabama does have  a whole BUNCH of lesson plans available for download, covering just about any subject and grade level on the ALEX site.  (ALabama Learning Exchange) Many are easily adaptable to be setup and used in Moodle.

Look under Resources at: https://alex.state.al.us/index.php

Average of ratings: Useful (1)