New version of the detailed responses report plugin

New version of the detailed responses report plugin

av Jean-Michel Védrine -
Antall svar: 15
Attached is a new release of the detailed responses report plugin. This release is mainly aimed at users of Moodle 1.5.3 but will work with all 1.5.x Moodle versions (warning it will NOT work with Moodle 1.4.x and people using 1.6dev should use the one from Moodle CVS)
Short introduction to the detailed responses report plugin
I created this plugin to bring back some features of the old Moodle 1.4's "detailed statistics" report plugin.
I like to see all my students' responses on the same screen and not having to browse all attempts. Also I wanted to use colors to mark corrects, partially corrects and uncorrects responses. In the first version I used colors and I now use background colors but of course you can change the styles to suit your taste !
Here is a screen copy from a last week test with some of my students:
detailed responses plugin screen copy
It is possible to download the results as an Excel spreadsheet or a CSV separated text file.
New features
  • some bugfixes and small adjustments
  • responses are now formatted as a consequence it is now possible to display Moolde filters results (for instance TeX formulas, see above picture)
  • change in styles used (see above picture)
  • uses sql queries similar to ones in the overview report (see bug #4303) so that the report doesn't die when there is a large number of students.
Unfortunately as I was changing the queries, I was forced to postpone the options to only display best, last, first attempts because I want first to verify that everything is OK !
Unfortunately also the display for CLOZE questions is not improved, but I am working on it (anyway this is a change in another file: mod/quiz/questiontypes/multianswer/questiontype.php so no problem separating the upgrades)

Gjennomsnittlig vurdering: -
Som svar til Jean-Michel Védrine

Re: New version of the detailed responses report plugin

av Dennis Daniels -
Jean this looks great! I'm using the cvs version of Moodle is the code in the cvs or is it a plugin that needs to be downloaded separately?

Secondly, I'm guessing your a maths guy... smiler

What I've been hoping for is a way of using detailed reports like the one you've got here to add student short answer responses back to the moodle dbase...

For instance... a student answers the question:
What is the value of pi?
And the student replies instead of 3.14 etc. he or she replies it is the ratio a cirles' circumference and diameter... which is a fine answer...

In the interface the teacher faced with a good answer like this could add that student's answer to the list of possible correct answers in the test by clicking a radio button or ckbox "add this answer to correct answers for this question". Is your plugin going in that direction?

All the best!
Denny
Som svar til Dennis Daniels

av Jean-Michel Védrine -
The detailed responses is not currently in the 1.5 branch CVS, only in the 1.6 branch so if you are using 1.5.x you must get it from this thread and install it (a readme file is included)
Yes as some may have noted, I'm teaching math (and statistics but the screen copy was from a math test)
Your idea is a wonderfull one because I use these tests in computer labs with groups of students and I usually watch on my computer screen the student's entered responses during the test (I also look at them so that they don't cheat too much, but now with questions and answers shuffling, and randoms questions this tast is much easier). Very often I see a stupid mistake (like responding x=1.2 rather than just the value 1.2 to a numerical question) and as I am a gentle teacher I warn the student about his mistake (having their photo on screen is very nice for large student's group given my poor memory for names)
But sometimes I also see a is fine and not forecasted response.
Currently, I must leave the report to edit the question so using a button in the report would be a lot easier.
I will see how to do that if it's possible

av Jean-Michel Védrine -
As other users have noted, the display of the detailed responses report plugin was not very good for cloze (multianswer) questions.
Here is a modified mod/quiz/questiontypes/multianswer/questiontype.php file.
The only change is that I have added a new "get_actual_response" method so I think it can't break anything elsewhere.
The display will be the list of choices and entered values for all numerical, multichoices and short answers in the cloze question (the improvment is in fact only visible for multichoices parts of the question)
Currently the separator is a comma but you can easily change that (see comment in the code for the $responsesseparator variable)
To install just replace your mod/quiz/questiontypes/multianswer/questiontype.php file with this one.

av Daniele Cordella -
Bilde av Core developers Bilde av Plugin developers
Dear Jean-Michel
I really appreciate you detailed responses report plug-in.
I installed your last release you posted in this thread and I believe it is really usefull.

In spite of this I want support you notifying that I found few minor not fully correct issues.

Let me list them.
If you install the moodl153+ available now... you find that
1) the $string['reportresponses'] = 'Detailed responses'; is already present in /moodle/lang/en/quiz.php
2) and, in response, maybe the same string is useless in your /moodle/lang/en/quiz_responses.php

Decompressing your great contribution I still find your initial errors.
The names of two folder are wrong:
a) detailed_responses/mod/quiz/report/reponses instead of detailed_responses/mod/quiz/report/responses (reponses -> responses)
b) detailed_responses/lang/eng instead of detailed_responses/lang/en

Installing your plug-in I saw that colors are not implemented in "Detailed responses" page as they are implemented in the "Item analysis" page.

Hoping this can improve your contribution.
Thank you again.
Som svar til Daniele Cordella

av Jean-Michel Védrine -
Hello Daniele,
Thanks a lot for your commenst
Downloading the file I posted I realized that I posted an old version, not the new one !!!! triste tristetriste triste
So please don't use the previous file, use the one attached to this post !!!
Sorry for my mistake !!!

av Orestes Mas -
Bilde av Translators
Another little bug: The language directory should be "en" instead of "eng" (at least in my installation).

I've just installed this plugin and at first sight it seems to not showing correctly the answers and/or colours for some questions. Though I've to admit that our quizzes aren't "typical" ones, because we make intensive use of TeX formulae or figures in multichoice questions, for example, and this seems to pose problems to the plugin's code. For example, my first impression is that for multichoice question with graphic answers, always (and only) the first graph is displayed, in spite of the student's response.

When I've the time, I'll post a message documenting the observed errors.

------------------------
Merci pour vôtre travail. Ce plugin c'est très intéréssant.
Som svar til Orestes Mas

av Jean-Michel Védrine -
Oh yes oops I forgot about the en/eng problem.
I too use a lot of TeX formulas. I would be very interested if you can send me some wrongly displayed questions to test.

av Daniele Cordella -
Ciao Jean-Michel
I have the same problem about colors in detailed responses plug-in.
Looking at the source code I found thay you correctly use the calsses "correct" and "uncorrect" but each answer is blu and nothing is in red.
Can you reproduce this little bug?

And then: at the address
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/moodle/moodle/mod/quiz/report/responses/
your release of report.php is different from the release that you posted in this thread. What is happening?

av Jean-Michel Védrine -
The problem about colors not displaying:
There was a bug in Moodle for the cloze questions but it is now corrected in CVS both for the 1.5x and the 1.6x branches so upgrading your files in mod/quiz/questiontypes/multianswer directory with the one from CVS (and from the correct branch 15STABLE if you are using 1.5x or HEAD if you are using 1.6x) will solve your problem.
Warning
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/moodle/moodle/mod/quiz/report/responses/
is for people using Moodle 1.6x
If you are using 1.5x you must use the files from that thread

av Daniele Cordella -
yeaaaaaaaaaa
that's it.
This is your report... finally with the right colors.
Thare was only a very simple bug.
It was in the line 156 that I leaved with a rem
adding the next right one.
The difference in only
$table->set_attribute('id', 'responses'); -> $table->set_attribute('id', 'itemanalysis');
If you use the table id="responses", the styles "correct" and "uncorrect" don't apply.
Is it correct Jean-Michel?
I leave to you the floor.

av Orestes Mas -
Bilde av Translators
I think there's still something wrong, because in cloze questions with partially correct answers the colour shown is green, but it should be yellow.

av Jean-Michel Védrine -
If you correctly follow the readme you add the required lines to mod/quiz/styles.php and there is no need to modify that line.
I've done it that way so that people wanting to use different colors for the item analysis and the detailed responses report plugins can do it.

av Priya Saini -

hi jean,

I have installed 'detailed responses' plugin in my moodle 1.5.3. everything is working file bt the title is getting displayed within and i guess this is because of eng instead of en. Can i rename this folder to en??? im trying 2 include the facility 2 download the same in pdf form even.

Gr8 work Jean...

regards,

Priya Saini

Som svar til Priya Saini

av Jean-Michel Védrine -
Yes definitely the folder name should be 'en' and not 'eng' it was a mistake (I am also working on the PostNuke project where languages use a 3 letters name wich explain my confusion)