Upload all of Moodle using a SmartFTP QUEUE

Upload all of Moodle using a SmartFTP QUEUE

by Timothy Takemoto -
Number of replies: 6

This is really obvious to most people I am sure. But at last I found out how to do it and it saves a lot of hassle.

It seems that quite a lot of providers have a limit on (I am not sure which) the number of files, or the amount (in terms of memory) that one can upload at at time. Then the upload stops half, or less of the way. As Moodle gets bigger, and better, this is going to be more of a hassle.

Using a simple ftp client you have to see which files have been uploaded and then start the upload again from there.

But good FTP clients have queuing functions that will resume the upload at the right place automatically, after it stops part way. I did not know how to do this till today. This is partly due to the software I have been using.

Smart FTP, a popular free for non-commerical use FTP client has a 'global queue" function. If you watch the tutorial you can find out how it is done.

But here is the long and short of the story.

The first confusing thing about Smart FTP is that the local files browser is not shown automatically. Press 'ctlr+L' to have the local folders displayed.

Then, to cut a long story short, if you use *RIGHT* (not the usual, left) click to drag and drop files and folders from your local folder to the server then you will be offered the option of queing the files. A two option menu appears - choose the Q icon option. That is all.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

Re: Upload all of Moodle using a SmartFTP QUEUE

by Tim Allen -
I used to use SmartFTP and think it is good software, but later I moved to Filezilla, which is very good and is truly open source software, not just freeware.  Furthermore, it even has a server component, as well as the queue function you mention above.

Tim.
In reply to Tim Allen

by Timothy Takemoto -
Thanks Tim I will try it, and perhaps try the server too. I have downloaded it. I have not worked out the server yet.

It was only today that I realised (?) that I can make my windows 2000 box a server just by installing apache. Can this reallly be true? I thought that i had to install Linux. I am not sure why I bothered with Redhat.

Tim

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Timothy,
                 on a windows platform you have 2 simple choices:

xampp  or  easyphp  wich come with apache, php and mysql preinstalled in one package.

I use easyphp 1.7 not optimized here on my desktop machine ( celeron 2.5 ghz with 768meg ). Not very fast but it handle up to 25 students at same time.

I hope it may help to start a local server,

Bernard

In reply to Bernard Boucher

Linux or apache on Win 2k

by Timothy Takemoto -
If I use easyphp (which I have installed on all of my computers, with a few clicks) does that mean I can open ports and let my Windows 2000 boxes speak to the net? Yes, it seems to. I thought that I needed Linux or Windows *server* for that. I thought that easyphp / xamp allowed one to use the server only on the desktop, not over the net.

Well, since I have installed linux onto one of my Windows 2000 computers, I suppose there is no point in reinstalling Windows. But I would have saved myself a lot of time.

Tim

Re: Linux or apache on Win 2k

by Tim Allen -
Hi Timothy,

I haven't used EasyPHP to have a server open to the Internet, but I am pretty sure that it and XAMP can both be used in such a way.

Well, since I have installed linux onto one of my Windows 2000 computers, I suppose there is no point in reinstalling Windows. But I would have saved myself a lot of time.

It is probably a little easier to setup and manage a Windows server, especially if you have no previous unix/linux experience (although this can proabably be overexaggerated, especially once you get used to a *nix server). However, that is not the only consideration. Most people believe that a linux server is more stable, secure and faster than a Windows one.

Tim.
In reply to Tim Allen

by Amanda Bowens -

Hi Tim,

I am currently trying to upload Moodle using Filezilla but it's not working.  Was just wondering if you had any bright ideas please?

Have tried uploading the individual folders and the zipped file but no success with either.

Any advice gratefully received.

Regards

Amanda