Student-provided data (New feature, under development)

Student-provided data (New feature, under development)

by Henning Bostelmann -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Scheduler users

currently, the most frequently requested feature for Scheduler is, by some length, the ability for students to provide data (text, files, etc.) in advance of their appointment. (See CONTRIB-5343 and linked issues.)

I have now started to implement such a feature and would like to share it with you early, so that  I can get an idea whether the solution actually meets the need.

The rough idea would is that, if so configured by the teacher, students see one text box and one file upload field at time of booking. The text box can be used for various purposes - the teacher can specify in a "booking instructions" text what is actually requested. While I was at it, I also added the option to show a CAPTCHA at booking time.

I add a few screenshots below, which should give an idea of the new feature as currently planned. The very adventurous can also install it on their test system - see the branch "bookingdata" on github - however, please note that this is a work in progress and that I don't guarantee that any data can be carried forward to the final version at all! Please use it on a test system only

Feedback is welcome - please just reply to this post.

I'm planning to release the feature at approximately the time of Moodle 3.3, and it will likely be compatible with that version only.

Best wishes

Henning

Here's the new section of the configuration screen (Scheduler settings):

A student will first see the usual list of slots, with a "Book slot" button:

Clicking on "Book slot", they are presented with a booking form that allows them to enter text / upload files:

The teacher sees a "paperclip" icon next to the student's booking, indicating that data has been provided:

Opening the relevant appointment (by clicking on the student's name), the teacher can access the student-provided data:

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Henning Bostelmann

Re: Student-provided data (New feature, under development)

by scott hallman -

That looks great Henning. Just wondering though if you choose is edit settings not to allow student notes and files, then I presume it will work as it used to? Therefore not adding extra steps for the cases when the students just need to confirm a booking. Great tool we use it all the time. 

In reply to scott hallman

by Henning Bostelmann -

Hi Scott,

yes, that is correct. When "Use booking form" is set to "no" (the default) then there's no change from the current behaviour - the student just needs to click one button to book the slot.

by scott hallman -

Hi Henning

when do you think the new feature will be available. I have some impatient staff here who are hanging out for it. It would be good to give them a date of approx release

Cheers Scott

by Henning Bostelmann -

Hi Scott

I'm still planning to release this feature with Scheduler 3.3, probably in June or so.

Scheduler 3.3 will likely require Moodle 3.3 (not sure yet what the changes in Moodle 3.3 will be, but it's quite possible that there will be some incompatible changes in core). Therefore, the availability of the feature in your own installation will probably also depend on when you upgrade your overall Moodle.

Best wishes
  Henning

by Carol Howells -

Hi yes this is great! I would like it implemented ASAP. We are still on 3.1 and not sure yet of move even to 3.2 let alone 3.3.  Shame sad

Thank you

by Sebastien Jaffredo -

Hi Henning

That's a great feature. Thank you for following up on that request !

Just one question: will the student be able to edit/delete his entries?

Cheers,

Sébastien

In reply to Sebastien Jaffredo

by Henning Bostelmann -

Hi Sebastien

yes, students can edit their entries but only until the "guard time" starts, if any is set. In other words, they can edit the data in the same time that they could cancel their booking as well.

Cancelling the booking, on the other hand, will delete any uploaded data.

by Henning Bostelmann -

Dear all

just to say that this new feature has now landed in the master branch on github.

As said, the feature will be released with Scheduler 3.3. It's really a major change in some parts of the code, so I'm afraid I won't backport it to the 3.1 and earlier branches (for the benefit of those who don't need the new feature but need a stable version of the existing Scheduler).

As ever, I would not recommend to use the master branch in production, but you're more than welcome to install it on your test systems at this time and let me know about any issues you encounter.

Best wishes
Henning

by scott hallman -

Thanks Henning for all your hard work this is going to come in very useful. We look forward to the new release in a few months. cheers