Non-scorm HTML Course

Non-scorm HTML Course

by Ron Meske -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hello,

I am looking for a way to have Moodle be the frontend for all our HTML courses and tools.  Currently we use Moodle for SCORM courses, and a website for non-SCORM courses and EPSS's.  I would like to bring these other HTML based items into Moodle to control access.

Our configuration for SCORM opens the content in a new window and links (alias) to the manifest file, which is in a separate repository allowing updates to courses without the need to upload an entire zip file as well as placing it on a shared network drive.  We would like to use this same format for all the other HTML items we are brining in.

I tried using the file module to display a website index page but it would not load all the Images, CSS & JavaScript files.

I have looked through the various course format plugins but have not found any that give this ability.  Did I miss it?

Short of finding an existing plugin, my only other thought is to duplicate the SCORM course format and modify it to remove the SCORM specific code, instead launching the file linked to as the alias.  Any thoughts on this approach?

Regards,

Ron

Current Moodle version: 2.7

Will be migrating to current Moodle 3.x version in next couple of months

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ron Meske

Re: Non-scorm HTML Course

by RTR Admin -

You'll have to correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you just need to upload the SCORM package without any SCORM data. Just because you uploaded a SCORM package doesn't mean you have to use the reporting features. Leave the manifest intact so Moodle will properly load the course, and simply don't configure any SCORM interactions when you create the content. Maybe I missed something in there about why you can't use this method, but I think that is the easiest way to accomplish your goal.

In reply to RTR Admin

by Ron Meske -

That is our backup plan.  The reason we are attempting to avoid this is for 2 reasons:

1. Avoiding the format issues with the SCORM player window using iFrames
  2. The extra time to create the SCORM package for loading

In reply to Ron Meske

by RTR Admin -

I'm unaware of the issues with SCORM and iframe. Can you please elaborate? I open all of my SCORM packages in a new window. If you're looking to use just HTML5 packages, they can be stored in any folder on the web server and linked as an URL. If for some reason that is not a viable option, please let me know.

In reply to RTR Admin

by Ron Meske -

The iFrame impacts layout of courses, especially responsive designs.  There are a number of discussions in the boards and Tracker about SCORM courses and layouts.

By linking to a page on a web server, you loose the protection of Moodle's authentication. 

In reply to Ron Meske

by RTR Admin -

I always open my SCORM packages in a new window, so I've never run into that particular problem. When I suggested linking to an URL, I was suggesting you create a new folder on the same server that hosts your Moodle instance, and then link to your own URL. This will not mess with Moodle's authentication.

In reply to RTR Admin

by Just H -

"This will not mess with Moodle's authentication."

No, but it means you don't have the protection of Moodle's authentication i.e. anyone who gets to know the URL can access it.

In reply to Just H

by RTR Admin -

There may be a way around that. Put the contents of the package in a folder stored withing Moodle, and then add link to the index file as a resource. That should do it...

In reply to Just H

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

You could add a 'require login' option to your external files.

// Specify path to Moodle config file
require_once('pathtoyour/config.php');
// Require valid Moodle login and redirect to login page if not logged in require_login();