Turnitin uploads stuck at "queued" (plagiarism plugin)

Turnitin uploads stuck at "queued" (plagiarism plugin)

by Glenn Pillsbury -
Number of replies: 6

Moodle 3.1.2.

Plagiarism plugin v. 2017013101

We recently launched a Moodle 3.1.2 server for the new semester and have not been able to get student papers to Turnitin that were submitted via the plagiarism plugin.  On the assignment display, all the uploads report "Turnitin status: Queued".

What I've done:

• Cron output for the turnitintooltwo_task is simply:
    Execute scheduled task: Turnitintooltwo Cron Task (mod_turnitintooltwo\task\turnitintooltwo_task)
    ... used 3 dbqueries
    ... used 0.050241947174072 seconds
    Scheduled task complete: Turnitintooltwo Cron Task (mod_turnitintooltwo\task\turnitintooltwo_task)
  • Checked the mdl_turnitin_plagiarism_files table.  There were 39 rows in the table.  The first paper in the list was listed as "pending" and had an errorcode of "6". I deleted it and re-ran the cron. Same output as above.
  • Two others were listed as "pending".  I deleted both of those. No change in cron output and all other papers still listed as "queued"
  • Enabled full debugging mode.  No additional messages in either the full cron or the specific turnitintooltwo_task.
  • Purged all caches and re-ran cron. No change.
  • In the papers themselves, I see one .odt file, but the rest are vanilla .doc, .docx, or .pdf.

Any ideas what I can check next?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Glenn Pillsbury

Re: Turnitin uploads stuck at "queued" (plagiarism plugin)

by Glenn Pillsbury -

I should add that there aren't any messages in the Error log of the plugin.

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

It's a known issue with their latest code. more info here:
https://github.com/turnitin/moodle-plagiarism_turnitin/issues/224

there's a patch in their "develop" branch which seems to fix it.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Glenn Pillsbury -

Thanks for that information.

At some point after I posted my original message (Friday morning), the logjam cleared somehow and the papers went through. I didn't do anything intentional, though I suspect clearing the "pending" papers, and the one with the errorcode in particular, did the trick eventually.

Related question: I see talk about "Activity Log" and "API Log".  Where do I enable those and view the output?  I don't see anything on the plagiarism plugin administration page. Thanks. Sorry if this is obvious...

by John McGettrick -

Hi Glenn, as Dan says there's a couple of issues with old submissions that either don't have a submitter or may no longer exist in Moodle.

As for Activity and API logs, they are in the mod/turnitintooltwo section in admin as they share configuration and some code. These will be getting added to plagiarism/turnitin at some point as the plugins will be split up. You will need to enable diagnostics in the mod/turnitintooltwo settings for these to start logging.

by Michael Hughes -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

The Activity Log and APi log options actually are on the mod_turnitintool settings page, not the plagiarism plugin's settings page.

M