Moodle grader report editing extremely slow

Re: Moodle grader report editing extremely slow

by Ken Task -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Well ... am not a credentialed DB admin ... but ...

not sure one can get a 3.0 and a 3.1 to behave exactly like one another.

So there's one DB server for everything, huh?   Just how much memory does that server have?

"and the both took the 36 seconds to delete a grade item for all students with 2738/8539 read/writes"

both exactly the same?

Huh?
The first is MariaDB ... so is the second!!!

DB Admin said
"I loaded the live database into the moodlet database that is hosted on mariadb (live database server)." and it took only 9 seconds with 1777/739 read/writes"

Dunno what the heck that means!!! ... so he loaded the DB off the main DB server, put them onto another DB server and the results were above.

Hmmmm ... would think it rather obvious, but I'll guess I'll say it ... 1 server running multiple DB ... vs another server running only one DB.  If both servers have same specs I would say the other server running one db should be faster.

innodb_buffer_pool_instances = 8
innodb_buffer_pool_size = 36G

I've read that if buffer pool size is 36G then buffer pool instances need to be 1 per Gig

The link provided in notes
.. if one goes to the page ... one sees the first line says there is an update to the post
here
https://www.percona.com/blog/2013/09/20/innodb-performance-optimization-basics-updated/

On the new page:
And a lot has in fact changed! In this post I am going to highlight most of the InnoDB parameters critical for InnoDB – specifically from a performance perspective. I’m a support engineer and I can tell you that Percona Support gets many questions related to the right sizing of basic InnoDB parameters.
So hopefully this post will help others with similar questions and issues.

happens sometimes ... a page used 7 years ago to tweak performance etc. gets updated ... as has DB's .... might be a good idea to read the new page.

Will say this ... things seem a little confused ...

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Re: Moodle grader report editing extremely slow

by Debbie Unterseher -

Thank you,  Ken and Howard, for responding and giving great suggestions!  You were correct, the times were not exactly the same, but similar.  What I was missing was that I needed to check the # of read/writes for each.   I will also let our server guy know of the updates! smile 

Thanks again.