Moodle 3.2 - CSS styles won't load on server & file picker won't load

Moodle 3.2 - CSS styles won't load on server & file picker won't load

by Joe Cape -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Plugin developers

I am building an e-learning system using Moodle 3.2 for a small customer.

I really like some of the new features that have been added (UI changes, global search, User Tours) - but have a problem that I think must be related to my server set-up.

I started developing locally and am now trying to deploy to the pilot site.

I have had some problems after uploading the main directory, moodle data and database.

I have done this through the customer's standard hosting provider, it is listed as a Small Business Hosting Package, but I'll try to find out more about it. 

The first issue is that the site is loading without any styling. This can be resolved by turning Theme Designer Mode (themedesignermode) on, which obviously makes the site run very slowly.

The second issue is that the file upload inputs do not work. They just don't load, the AJAX spinners carry on forever.

The third issue is that some media doesn't load; this seems to affect images that have been uploaded to the site. For example, the logo which is uploaded using the logocompact setting.

I thought that the issue was with file permissions within moodledata. After setting everything to 770 (all access to Owner and Group), the third issue is partially resolved. Some of the images are now loading correctly, but not all. I don't know if that's because of caching or that the permissions haven't been changed correctly. At the moment, the control panel of the hosting account only gives me FTP access but will try to get SSH server access.

I have tried following the advice given in forums here and elsewhere:

Filepicker not loading at all: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=331556

moodle not showing CSS and theme with linux server: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21782203/moodle-not-showing-css-and-theme-with-linux-server

I haven't found a solution. 

I have tried:

Turning off "Use slash arguments" [slasharguments] (meant to styling issue).

Turning off eAccelerator caching on server (meant to solve the filepicker issue, but this module is not being used).

... and the other suggestions I have been able to find.

I then tried a completely fresh install of Moodle 3.2. 

This still gives me the first problem (site still requires themedesignermode to load CSS but filepicker works). As soon as I started using the installation wizzard the styling was gone.

The only additional plugin I am using for my own Moodle site is the photo theme (based on boost).

I tried running the hosting account's CGI script to install Moodle. This is version 2.3. I don't appear to have any issues with this.

Attachment fresh.PNG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joe Cape

Re: Moodle 3.2 - CSS styles won't load on server & file picker won't load

by Joe Cape -
Picture of Plugin developers

I have just found https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=346256 - sounds like it could be the same as my styling issue.

Luke van Tricht: "The accepted standard method of calling a .php file with parameters is with the query string syntax, e.g. image.php?var1=val1, but for certain URLs in the Moodle framework they use an alternative syntax, which is image.php/val1/val2/val3/, and it's those forward slashes that are causing the issues with the location directive."

Although turning off "Use slash arguments" didn't help for me - so not sure if that's it.