Calculated Question: escape character from being recognized and rendered as wildcard/variable

Calculated Question: escape character from being recognized and rendered as wildcard/variable

by Alexander Lebeth -
Number of replies: 1

In a calculated question I used {R} to define a placeholder value. Now, in some circumstances, I would like to write just the character "R" as simple character without getting it substituted by nummerical values. But when I want to write the character "R" as a denominator in a fraction, I get a problem:

In the mathjax code

$$\begin{aligned}\varphi_{Z}=\arctan\,\left(\frac{2\cdot\pi\cdot50\,Hz\cdot10^{-3}\cdot L}{R} \right)\end{aligned}$$

the "R" as a denominator gets has to be in curly brackets and now gets interpreted as placeholder.

When I try to "escape" with \text, the same thing happens:

$$\begin{aligned}\varphi_{Z}=\arctan\,\left(\frac{2\cdot\pi\cdot50\,Hz\cdot10^{-3}\cdot L}{\text{R}} \right)\end{aligned}$$

How can I just have it rendered as character? I know, I could use a different name for the placeholder like {Rplaceholder} but unfortunately this isn't possible in my usecase.

Hope someone has a solution.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alexander Lebeth

Re: Calculated Question: escape character from being recognized and rendered as wildcard/variable

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Is \frac{1}{{}R} valid TeX? That seems to work.