Essential updated for Moodle 2.9 to 3.1

Essential updated for Moodle 2.9 to 3.1

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello,

Prior to starting on the M3.2 and 3.3 versions of the theme I have released Essential with all the current fixes and one improvement as follows:

M2.9 - V2.9.1.23: https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversion.php?id=13208

M3.0 - V3.0.1.16: https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversion.php?id=13209

M3.1 - V3.1.1.8 : https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversion.php?id=13210

M2.9 - V2.9.1.23:

- FIX: Issue #794: Hidden grade items in user report not clear as such.
- FIX: Issue #804: 'Hide default page editing button' hides anything that could be in that place.
- FIX: Issue #805: Suspended user odd rows.
- FIX: RTL header dotted separator appearing twice.
- FIX: Forum table user image link height.
- FIX: Environment table help icon spacing.
- NEW: User image border radius settings.

M3.0 - V3.0.1.16:

- FIX: Issue #804: 'Hide default page editing button' hides anything that could be in that place.

M3.1 - V3.1.1.8 :

- FIX: Alternative colour table odd row colour.
- FIX: User image table even row background.

You will find two new settings 'userimageborderradius' and 'usermenuuserimageborderradius' where you can set the border radius between zero and ninety pixels for the user image throughout the site and the navbar.  This should help add more control for you via the user interface so that it matches your style.  Thus adding even more features to this great theme.

If you find this post useful then please kindly mark it so.

Cheers,

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Essential updated for Moodle 2.9 to 3.1

by Mihai Bojonca -
Picture of Testers

Thank you Gareth, this is great.

I saw the "moodlegarage" fundraiser, great to see that you continue the compatibility of the theme and improvement.

one question are there any plans on upgrading Bootstrap ? 

Thank you!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mihai Bojonca

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Mihai,

No problem.

I have no plans to upgrade Bootstrap because:

• Essential is a now a child of Bootstrapbase.  Bootstrapbase is Bootstrap v2.3.2.  Updating to Bootstrap 3 would mean loads more maintenance work keeping the styles in line with Bootstrapbase changes and the slight incompatibilities that arise.
  • Upgrading to be a child of Boost or using Bootstrap v4 (which is still in development) would mean moving to SASS.  SASS currently does not have a mechanism for passing though text in its files 'as is' unlike LESS without having a parsing failure.  Thus all the places where I have Moodle setting code etc which is not true LESS / CSS will fail.  This would be a big job to rectify.
  • Essential is fine with BS 2.3.2.  If its not broken then don't fix it.
  • I already have a BS V3 theme so have no need to learn something new by upgrading Essential to it.  With BS V4 I'll monitor the development but no need to learn it yet as things may change and it needs to be a stable framework.  If I were active in its development then that would be a different thing.

Therefore there is currently no perceivable benefit to the theme in expending the effort.

Why do you ask and do you have an argument against mine?

Kind regards,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Mihai Bojonca -
Picture of Testers

Gareth, thank you. 

That answer satisfied my question and will probably help others too.

I asked mainly out of curiosity and secondly because I read about the benefits of newer versions Bootstrap which do not necessarily bring any benefits to me. 

In my practice I usually like to walk a little on the bleeding edge thus my question.

Also the looks of the new Boost theme are appealing and I am trying to understand where you will be taking Essential. 

Sorry if I had you writing so much but thanks.