STACK and Geogebra: it works...

STACK and Geogebra: it works...

by Christopher Sangwin -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear all,

It has been on my list for a very long time to get STACK and GeoGebra working together, so that the configuration of a diagram can become part of the answer.

Thanks to Andreas Schekel we now have a working example, which I've posted here: https://stack.maths.ed.ac.uk/demo/course/view.php?id=16 

I'm posting this message to the list to ask for help.  I would really like a volunteer to look at this and help me (and the STACK project as a whole) to create a step by step guide for other people wishing to use GeoGebra in their materials.  Andreas's example is not entirely straightforward, because it links things together using Javascript, but we know it works at this level.  I think this is great and am excited about the possibilities.

This is a great opportunity to contribute something back to STACK without necessarily changing the STACK code (although I anticipate for really tight integration we can do this as needed).  If you are interested in helping, please drop me an email at C.J.Sangwin@ed.ac.uk.

One contribution which would be very valuable would be to send me some example questions you'd like to automate. To what uses would you put GeoGebra.  Compelling examples have always driven the development of STACK, and this is a good time to collect some using Geogebra.

Chris

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Christopher Sangwin

Re: STACK and Geogebra: it works...

by Ger Tielemans -

Dear Christopher,

The combination looks promising:

Is it possible for study purpose to get a copy for the stack and the stack/geogebra course and/or get teacher rights on your demo server?

regards, Ger

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Christopher Sangwin -

The question was already in the course, but I've added a backup of the whole course as well.  Please let me know how you get on.

Chris

by Hendrikje Schmidtpott -

Hi Chris,

is this DEMO-Class still working? For some reason I can't find it anymore.

Hendrikje

In reply to Hendrikje Schmidtpott

by Christopher Sangwin -

Thanks for prodding me her Hendrikje,

I moved my server recently, and the upgrade to V4 has been a good opportunity to tidy up.  I've restored this here https://stack2.maths.ed.ac.uk/demo/course/view.php?id=10 

I'd be delighted if someone would be interested in developing this functionality further, or indeed in providing more examples.

Chris

Thank you Chris!

This might be a stupid question, but I can't see where I can add an Geogebra-Applet. I downloaded the question and did an Import in our moodle, because I wanted to see the backend. Well, the Question works fine, but looking at the editing page I can't find any word about geogebra. Everything looks like a "normal" STACK-Question.

At the moment I could only try to edit a xml-file, but I am not sure whether that is the intended way to get the Applet working.

In reply to Hendrikje Schmidtpott

by Christopher Sangwin -

Yes Hendrikje,

The reason I have not made this a "mainstream" feature is the editing is currently very sub-optimal.  You basically have to edit the raw HTML of the question text and add in javascript code to embed the GeoGebra applet.  If you use the editor (depending on which editor you have on your moodle install) you can see the raw HTML.  The code will then appear.

If anyone has suggestions about how better to solve this problem please let me know!

Chris

Thank you Chris!

I haven't done a lot of work with Javascript yet, so I guess this will take me a little bit of time. But that shouldn't matter, the code doesn't seem to be too complicated.

At the moment the HTML-code seems to be a good idea since it is probably the most flexible method. I want to use geogera mainly for feedback and I think I can use students input as input for geogebra. I don't see how to combine my ideas with those from the example in an easy to use way...

by Toni Tran -

Hi,

this is great addon to stack. I tried it a little bit and it seems to work quite well. I made a question where you have to make a circle with geogebra to match with equation. You can move that circle and change radius. It just took me awhile to figure out how I can read coordinates and radius from gg-applet. 

circ

I used ggbApplet.registerObjectUpdateListener("A", "getCoords"); And

ggbApplet.registerObjectUpdateListener("r", "getValue");

And with  getValue I could read the value of that slide thingy. Question is in Attachment. Sorry, it's in Finnish.