BB7 to Moodle? Will our existing BB5.5 to Moodle tools still work?

BB7 to Moodle? Will our existing BB5.5 to Moodle tools still work?

by A. T. Wyatt -
Number of replies: 4
I have a problem (which is long and tedious, and I will spare you the details).

1) We are on BB5.5 and migrating straight to BB7
2) Perhaps for a short time (depends on if we select Moodle as a replacement CMS for next year--decision must be made next semester)
3) The migration happens over Christmas break
4) I know BB7 imports BB5.5 courses (or at least the few I tried worked).
5) What happens if I have faculty using BB7 for the spring semester and then we make the switch to moodle for next fall?

I can't do anything about this--I must change to BB7 for the interim (old server dying, db corrupted, moving platforms (LAMP to Windows)).  The timing is just terrible.  I am now trying to wrap my mind around how a further conversion to moodle might work out. . .  Fortunately, I don't have many quizzes to convert.  Mostly just content such as handouts.  So far, I have had zero luck converting forums to moodle; they don't seem to be packaged with the archive/export file, so we count them as lost.

Thanks for any advice from BB6/BB7 users.

atw
Average of ratings: -
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

Re: BB7 to Moodle? Will our existing BB5.5 to Moodle tools still work?

by Ger Tielemans -
  • Save and hug backups of the current BB5.5 courses and use these during the later migration to Moodle.
  • Ask the decision makers if BB7 will have - at last - a course overview (like Moodle) or a learning line overview (like BB-clone Dokeos) 
  • Advise your people to avoid the BB building blocks 
    • advise them to use Reload/CP or Exe or any other SCORM compatible tool instead, to stay platform independent.
    • then import that SCORM into BB7
In reply to Ger Tielemans

Re: BB7 to Moodle? Will our existing BB5.5 to Moodle tools still work?

by A. T. Wyatt -
Thank you for your response.  I have backups of all the old courses, for sure!  We have no funds for building blocks, so that is not an issue.

What do you mean by this:
"Ask the decision makers if BB7 will have - at last - a course overview (like Moodle) or a learning line overview (like BB-clone Dokeos) "

I have learning eXe on my Christmas break list.  I will come back here and post the end of the story in a couple of weeks.  I will take a bb5.5 course, convert it to bb7, build in some new resources/activities, and then see what Moodle does with it.  Maybe it will not be too difficult after all!  thoughtful

atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

Re: BB7 to Moodle? update

by A. T. Wyatt -
I think the tools mostly still work. I did find that restoring the archives to new Moodle courses created a strange category (37), but both courses I tried wound up in that category. If you look at the course listing, the category disappears even though it gets an icon and in some views the 2 is still visible. And when I tried to delete the category (hoping the courses would be moved into the "miscellaneous" category, they simply disappeared off the list entirely. I could still access them by using the course id number, but not by searching.

Some of the topics look a bit strange--see screenshot. These were originally presented as "folders", which BB uses to allow additional content to be placed "inside", meaning that you click the folder and are essentially taken to another page that displays the content of the folder. Moodle does not have an analogous structure.

When I converted courses to Moodle from BB 5.0, the folder text came over, but the links were not complete. Documents did appear correctly.

I am thinking that the announcements from BB5 used to appear in the latest news forum, but the links did not work properly. From BB7, the announcements do not appear at all.

In both, forums appeared, but the threads were lost. Neither brought over quizzes; those had to be imported separately. I haven't tried importing a BB7 quiz.

So there are some differences.
Attachment bb7_screenshot.gif