One of our staff has been trying to help a student get onto our moodle site, and we noticed weird behaviour on his own phone (details in the title).
On college wifi, once he's entered the address correct we get this error (something like, as I couldn't get the exact text in the time shows):
Moodle Mobile additional features check returned an unexpected response. You will be authenticated via standard mobile service
It then changes https to http in the address, and prompts for username/password fine. BUT this will always fail as our site is all-https and set to disable http connections.
As a comparison, I tried this test against the main moodle.org site (on the same Android device) and got the same error - but that did NOT change the address to http://.
Switching to 4G on that phone, entering the correct address for our site comes up with 'oops having trouble connecting to [siteaddress]'.