Uploading Cengage quiz questions

Uploading Cengage quiz questions

by Lori Noguchi -
Number of replies: 4

I am using a text book from Cengage and am trying to upload the quiz questions to Moodle 3.03.  I have downloaded the Cengage questions in Moodle format and they unzip to include multiple files including: bb-package-info, categories.dat, imsmanifest.xml, questions.dat, and settings.dat

When I try to import the xml file, I get an error message, no questions found.  When I try to import either the zip file or any of the dat files into the question bank, the files fail to load.  Moodle just spins indefinitely until I cancel the upload.

Cengage also provides other file formats, and I have tried blackboard but have the same issue. 

I found another older thread that said to upload the zip file to the administrator block and unzip from there...I don't see that option in my version of Moodle.

Instructions would be appreciated!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lori Noguchi

Re: Uploading Cengage quiz questions

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It looks like the zip file is a black-board format question file.

What if you try to import it without unzipping it first?

Have you tried contacting Cengage support? (Do they offer any?)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Lori Noguchi -
I did contact Cengage, but have gotten no response yet.  As I wrote below, however, uploading the blackboard format zip file did work today (I did try yesterday and it did not work!).  Thanks for your assistance!
In reply to Lori Noguchi

by Jason McGensy -

I've had success importing Cengage questions with the Blackboard format, using .zip files.

In this case, the instructor brought in a zip file, that contained zip files for each chapter of the text (zips in zips!). The chapter zips contained the files you mention and they were upload-able to Moodle (2.8 at the time) in Blackboard format.

In reply to Jason McGensy

by Lori Noguchi -

Oddly enough, though I tried uploading the zipped blackboard files yesterday and it gave me a 'wrong file format' message, today it is working....Thanks for prompting me to re-try!