Images not visible in emails

Images not visible in emails

by enrique fanjul -
Number of replies: 5

I have a site in MoodleCloud.

Images do not appear in emails sent through forums.

They do appear on the website.

Anybody has any idea of the reason, or how to solve it?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to enrique fanjul

Re: Images not visible in emails

by Rob Mills -

This seems to be an ongoing issue related to security of the location where image files are stored. The clumsy way I get around it is the put in a url to an external location where the image can be pulled. I wish there was some fix for this. It looks so unprofessional to have blank spaces, black boxes etc in notification emails. 

In reply to Rob Mills

by enrique fanjul -

Thnak you Rob, for your comments.

So it's not just a problem of mine... Let's hope that it can be solved in the future.

In reply to enrique fanjul

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I think the problem is that when emails get sent, they are going out to somewhat "public" email addresses, whereas forum images and attachments are on a secured (meaning the user must be logged in) site.  I think that in most installs of Moodle, the images are actually in the moodledata folder, which typically is not in your web (public Internet) folder, so they are secured.  When reading an email, one is really not logged into their moodle (via email) so this is why the email doesn't show the image.  Hope that this makes sense to you.

Well, I am not the most technically knowledgeable about these things.  Maybe Moodle should have a setting such as "Store all images in the public folder: xyz". 

You can experiment on your own.  Instead of uploading an image in Moodle, put the image on your public Internet and link to it.  The image should show in the email.