Internal Server 500 Error

Internal Server 500 Error

by Joel Wagner -
Number of replies: 0

I have a moodle site hosted on Powweb server.  They recently made the following changes.

There is a new Apache configuration being introduced to accommodate changes made to the way ssl and temporary url's work now, using the ~username format. We are discontinuing use of mod_cgiwrap and mod_phpwrap and instead using the Apache server's suexec, which provides tighter security.

mod_cgiwrap and mod_phpwrap did not check for group writable directories and scripts. Group writable scripts are not good, of course, because when a directory or script is group writable anyone on the server can conceivably edit them (not directly through ftp, but through more obscure, difficult methods) and then run the scripts by accessing them through cgi.

The 500 Internal Server Error page we are now serving up in the case where a directory or file is group writable directs you to the FAQ page explaining the permissions issue:

http://www.powweb.com/faqs/?categor...20SSI&faq_id=54

If you are experiencing the 500 error now, make sure your scripts and the directories they are in have permissions set to 755 (php and html pages can still be 644 - they do not have to be executable).

You can change permissions on a script (chmod) using most FTP programs. In the WS_FTP program for example, highlight the file you want to change, right click and select "chmod (unix)." Other FTP programs will have differing ways of changing permissions. Check your FTP program's help files for details.

I set the permissions to 755, but I am still getting an internal server 500 error.

I realize Moodle had nothing to do with this problem, but I was hoping that someone who might have experienced a similiar problem might be able to offer me some suggestions.

Thank you for your time.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Joel

Average of ratings: -