Guests viewing essay pages in the Lesson activity

av Ana Ferrer -
Antall svar: 16

Hello, I am rather new to Moodle but very keen to learn.

The system we are developing allows Guest login. This has been set up. The result is that Guests can see content pages, but not essay pages. How can we allow Guests to view essay pages?

Thanks

(Edited by Mary Cooch - original submission Thursday, 2 February 2017, 10:39 AM)

Gjennomsnittlig vurdering: -
Som svar til Ana Ferrer

Re: Allow Guests to view Essay pages

av Howard Miller -
Bilde av Core developers Bilde av Documentation writers Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Peer reviewers Bilde av Plugin developers

I don't know what you mean by 'Essay pages'.  The only thing I can think of called an essay in Moodle is a quiz question type. 

If you actually mean the Assignment activity, what do you want Guests to see? They can't submit anything after all.  Even that doesn't make sense as the capability 'mod/assign:view' is allowed by default for the Guest role. 

You need to explain a bit more... blunker

Som svar til Howard Miller

av Ana Ferrer -
Thanks very much for the quick reply and apologies for my bad explanation. 

At the moment within a lesson the guest user can see what seems to be called "Content Page", but is not able to see anything of what seems to be called "Question Page".

I have checked the 'mod/assign:view' and this is set to Allow.

For info, where I get the page type (i.e. "Content Page", "Question Page") is if I go to the Lesson and select the Edit tab, and it shows me all the lesson pages. If I select the "settings-type" icon by the page, it calles it "Content Page" or "Question Page".

Have I explained it any better? Please let me know if screen shots would help. Thanks again! Very grateful for any help!

Som svar til Ana Ferrer

av Howard Miller -
Bilde av Core developers Bilde av Documentation writers Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Peer reviewers Bilde av Plugin developers

You must be talking about the Lesson Activity (not Assignment). I'm not especially familiar with Lesson but it doesn't have any capabilities that relate to viewing content. 

However, it shares a lot of code with Quiz and the guest can't do anything in Quiz. I suspect this is for a good reason, you might find that strange things happen if quiz attempts are enabled for guests.

To take a step back, why do you want to do this?

av Ana Ferrer -

Yes, I am probably talking about Lesson Activity.

The way the lesson is structured is that there is a few content pages, then a lesson activity, then some more content. The issue we are having is that because the Guest user is not able to submit/take part in the lesson activity, they get stuck, i.e. they don't seem to be able to move to the next available content page. 

Does that make sense? So it is not that we want the guest user to take part in the activity, but as they are not able to move along the lesson, we thought to give them access so that they are not "stuck". At the moment, when the guest user gets to the lesson activity, all they see is a blank page with a "submit" button at the bottom ... we ideally want the guest user to see only content pages and somehow skip the Lesson Activity pages in between.

Thanks again!

(Edited by Mary Cooch - original submission Thursday, 2 February 2017, 3:54 PM)

Som svar til Ana Ferrer

Re: Guests viewing essay pages in the Lesson activity

av Mary Cooch -
Bilde av Documentation writers Bilde av Moodle HQ Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Testers Bilde av Translators

Hello Ana.  I have renamed your question and am going to move it to the Lesson forum where people can continue to help. I think that will be more productive than duplicting the question, which I noticed you have done, so I'll remove that one and we can focus on this one smiler

Som svar til Mary Cooch

av Ana Ferrer -

Thank you very much Mary,

Is my explanation above clear enough? Would you know the answer to my question? 

Thanks again!

Som svar til Ana Ferrer

av Mary Cooch -
Bilde av Documentation writers Bilde av Moodle HQ Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Testers Bilde av Translators

Well let's see: you want guests to be able to view a Lesson activity? This is possible as you can see from these lesson examples here from our School demo site. If you click the link you should be able to do the lessons -but beware that the site resets itself on the hour so it is best to  try after five past the hour and before five to the hour.

Dyslexia lesson

Revolution lesson

First aid lesson

However, none of these lessons includes an essay question and I wonder if this is where your problem is? Here is a lesson on Water which includes essay questions and has guest access. It displays Ok to me.

Can you say how you have enabled guest access to the course and the lesson activity ? I am also a bit confused when you say "content pages" and then "Lesson activity" because content pages ARE part of a lesson activity. Are you saying that you have separate Moodle page resources and then a separate Lesson activity? And the lesson activity is not allowing guests to see it?

Som svar til Mary Cooch

av Ana Ferrer -

Mary, thank you so much!

Yes, the lesson on Water is exactly what we have.

The guest access was enabled as per the documentation: course administration ->Users -> Enrolment methods ->Guest access and then setting it to Yes.

OK, What I am saying is that if I go to the Lesson Administration as admin user, I select the Edit Tab AND the Expand tab, then each page has a description below it, and for most of the pages this is "content". The Guest user can see all the pages that are named as "content", but is not able to see the one that is named "essay", although they are taken into it.

I have taken a screenshot of what I mean and I attach it. So the user can see the page that is labeled content, i.e. Live 1, but not Live 2.

You are welcome to try this as a guest user. The URL is: http://svp-b-attitudelife.online/ you can access is as guest. If you select the first module - personal development, and then the first topic "who, what, how and why", you will be able to see the first 7 pages, but you will get a blank screen on page 8 (live 2), and you will not be able to move along. 

Thanks for your help!

Vedlegg EditingLesson.png
Som svar til Ana Ferrer

av Mary Cooch -

The first thing to try is to change to a standard theme such as the default theme Clean and see if the essay page is visible then. If it is then it is a problem with the theme. If it is still not visible then we have to look at what is in that essay question preventing it from displaying.

Som svar til Mary Cooch

av Ana Ferrer -

Hello Mary,

Thanks for the tip. So we have tried in a copy site that has a newer version of both moodle and the Theme, and it works fine. So we are going to update the version in the server and will let you know whether that does the trick.

Thank you!

Som svar til Ana Ferrer

av Ana Ferrer -

Hi Mary,

What we have found is that if we make the Navigation bar not visible, then those pages (i.e. the ones tagged as "Essay") are not displayed. 

Is that normal behaviour? We are using Adaptable theme.

Thanks!

Som svar til Ana Ferrer

av Howard Miller -

As your site allows guests in... can we have a look?

av Ana Ferrer -

Please go ahead!

Som svar til Ana Ferrer

av Howard Miller -

link? stort smil