Auto-create cohorts based on O365 AD Groups

Auto-create cohorts based on O365 AD Groups

by Chad Shields -
Number of replies: 2

I currently have our Moodle configured to authenticate with O365 using the available plugins.  Every time the cron job runs, new users added to O365 are automagically added as users in Moodle.  Great!

We now have thousands of O365 users and have divided them into multiple O365 AD groups.  We would like to use those same AD groups in Moodle as cohorts. As far as I can tell, there are plugins that auto-create cohorts based on AD groups using LDAP, but O365 doesn't allow LDAP requests.

Is there any way to auto-create cohorts based on O365 AD groups?  (Also, I know about the O365 plugin option "User Groups", but this appears to create O365 AD Groups after they are already in Moodle, not the other way around)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chad Shields

Re: Auto-create cohorts based on O365 AD Groups

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

I have to assume, for completeness, you don't have onsite AD to query? We have onsite AD and then have a VM which runs the sync tool to populate the accounts/OUs in the cloud.

We debated authenticating to 365, but as our moodle is run from the Library area my manager's preference is to use Shibboleth for it (as most of our eResources use that) - but until we can make that SSO from the desktop (requires some time with our AD admin, which is minimum months away) we're keeping NTLM SSO.

In reply to Dave Perry

Re: Auto-create cohorts based on O365 AD Groups

by Chad Shields -

Correct! Our Moodle instance is run on AWS so everything is in the cloud.  No local AD to sync with.