Teaching with Moodle

Getting every assignment setting right

Picture of Dave Musicant
Getting every assignment setting right

Hi folks,

Moodle assignments have lots of settings. I find that when I'm teaching a course, I regularly misconfigure something on a random assignment, because I forget to check a box or change a drop-down on that particular assignment. It's made worse when I import a course from a previous run, in that if I change a policy in how I handle something this time around, I need to make sure to remember to make that change to every assignment individually. That's a pain, and it's easy to miss something. Do people have any recommended best practices on how to make sure that all of my assignments have all of the settings I want them to have?

I realize this question is a little vague and the right answer might be "dude, just pay attention." But perhaps there's some way of setting global defaults that I'm unaware of, or some other tricks that people know about. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
paula
Re: Getting every assignment setting right
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Dave,

One of the things I like to do is make up a quiz that has just the settings, no questions for each type of quiz that I use on a regular basis. I would have one for midterms/finals, one for pop quizzes, one for quizzes that I use for formative assessesments. I hide these and use them as templates. I can then duplicate the one Type I want and change name, add questions and unhide.  I don't have to remember all the settings that I want for that kind of quiz. I can also easily import those templates into a new course. 

Don't know an easy fix for those previous quizzes except that I would use the template brought up one side of my screen as a checklist of what I need while I checked those previous tests on the other side of the screen. 

Hope that helps. cool

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Dave Musicant

Those are good ideas. Thanks, Paula.

Picture of Helen Foster
Group Core developersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Another possibility is for the site administrator to set default values for all new assignments (and other activities including quizzes). Settings can be marked as advanced (which means a course teacher has to click the 'Show more' link to see them) or locked (which means a course teacher cannot alter that setting).

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of Dave Musicant

Gotcha. Thanks, Helen.

Picture of Farhan Karmali
Group Plugin developersGroup Testers

Since I am a developer as well as a teacher , I often use the database directly to read the settings and sometimes even change settings in bulk

Picture of Dave Musicant

Ha! If only we all had such permissions. smile