Category visibility

Category visibility

by Teresa Noguero -
Number of replies: 8

Hi

I didn't know on which forum to post this question so I used this one.

I would like to create categories that are only visible to certain users, I was thinking in using it with cohort. What I am trying to achieve is that user see a catalogue based on their profile

1) A user is automatically assign to a cohort based on some fields on his profile, i.e. job title

2) A category is link to a cohort from the administration view of the category.

3) when a user login from that cohort, he can see only the categories assign to his cohort.

Is this possible?

I assigned a category to a cohort and a user to it, but when he logins he can see any category.

Thank you

Teresa

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Teresa Noguero

Re: Category visibility

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You can set your front page settings so that when they are logged in, they just see the courses that they are enrolled in.

Categories can still be navigated to but if they are not enrolled in any of the courses in the category, then they won't be able to get into the courses.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Johan Slabbert -

Hi Emma,

The student on my system can still see all the courses listed on the dashboard view.

Is there a way to switch off the dashboard functionality for users all together?

Thank You,

Johan

In reply to Teresa Noguero

by Johan Slabbert -

Hi Tessa/Emma,

To start off I am fairly new to the Moodle platform and currently running Ver 3.0.4.

I have a similar issue where students should be able to view one of two categories based on a qualifier (which I don't know how to set) 

I have managed to set up courses within courses using the topics format coupled with an URL activity. I still have the issue however that when a user logs into Moodle that he can see every single course there is to offer instead of the small selection I want him to see.

Required Configuration.

As can be seen from the diagram a Purple student should not be able to access/ see Red courses and vice versa. Non editing teachers should also not be able to view across the solid line either. I would assume that the Red would be in a different category than the Purple

1. Would cohorts address this matter ?
  2. Is Moodle able to facilitate a setup like this one ?

Thank You for your precious insight.

Johan

In reply to Johan Slabbert

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

While it is not really possible to totally hide the category altogether, you can set the front page so that when the students are logged in, they only see those courses that they are enrolled in (Front Page settings).  You can also adjust navigation settings so there is not so much visible in the navigation block...

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Johan Slabbert -

Hi Emma,

Thank you for your reply.

I managed to hide the list of students by completely disabling the Dashboard and fiddling with the Front Page settings. This will help me, to an extent, to isolate courses from students.

Is it possible, however, for non editing teachers to only have access to the gradebook of some (selected) of these courses ?

Thank You

Johan

by Johan Slabbert -

Edit: Would non editing teachers only have privilege/access to courses they are enrolled in ?

Would this segregation include grade books and manual student enrollments ?

Thank you again,

Johan

by Emma Richardson -

Yes, teachers and non-editing teachers only have access to the courses they are enrolled in.  This includes everything in the course including grades.  

by Johan Slabbert -

Emma,

I have managed to to setup my Moodle to reflect the diagram very closely.

The keys for me were:

1) Creating sets of courses (Self Enrollment) which will never be accessed directly only via a URL from inside an umbrella course (Manual Enrollment).

2) Disabling the Dashboard completely.

3) From the Front Page only allow Enrolled courses to be visible to the Student/Teacher.

Thank you so much for your help.

Johan