Comparisons and advocacy

Moodle / Joomla , Joomla/moodle or Moodle Standalone

Arasp Kazemian
Moodle / Joomla , Joomla/moodle or Moodle Standalone

hey guys, 

It's been years that I have been using Moodle LMS but as  you know sometimes we decide to use moodle with another CMSs like Drupal or Joomla which are well designed to be a CMS not LMS. 

We have better SEO in CMSs, better communication with member via social networks, better CRMs, better Multilingual features and ....

For years I had used Joomla CMS and my main website of my www.domain.com and I used www.domain.com/moodle for my Moodle LMS.  

I used Joomdle to integrate the databases together. 

Until now that I have decided to ruin everything to build a better infrastructure again. 

Why? Because nowadays Moodle support mobile app which can be very helpful, so instead of forcing Members to register on Joomla website on web browser First and then log into the moodle CMS via App. We have the possibility of registering members directly from Moodle App inside mooodle. 

So how can I use the other features of a CMS? 

Let's say that members come to the website or they download the application and register directly to my moodle website at www.domain.com (which is moodle)  then, is it a good idea to push them to another page like www.domain.com/joomla  for other purposes . (Note that this page is not an application it is just mobile friendly). 

now I am very very confused about deciding with method is better than the other one. Registering first on moodle and use joomla or registering first on joomla and log into moodle Or there may be another third possibillity I get rid of any CMS and I focus on LMS alone, but I'm afraid I may lose some students conversions. 

What do you think? Any suggestion? 

Bests, 

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Sebastian Schedlbauer
Re: Moodle / Joomla , Joomla/moodle or Moodle Standalone

Do your your visitors/users/students really need a Joomla account? If so, what features are used by them?

Arasp Kazemian

Good questions, But I think users do not know which system is better for them. 

Definately students should be on Moodle, but before they become students, they are members, before they are members, they are guest or visitors, this is our duty to convert them to students by giving them a better facility, by reducing complexity and bring them more simplicity. 

So I think we (webmasters) should decide which system is going to be better for who. 

Picture of Fernando Acedo
Particularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Joomdle is developed to be the point of entry to moodle. So students register in Joomla and are created automatically in moodle.

But you can do it the opposite way. With latest Joomdle versions you can use a theme for moodle as a frontpage and then register/login users that will be added to Joomla after registration.

You can set up a theme for moodle, like Adaptable or Essential, (so you have a front page in moodle) and use JoomdleBS for Joomdle wrapper. JoomdleBS is developed especially for this purpose.

Using this solution, the moodle App is not so important because you get a responsive solution that works in all kind of mobiles. You will have all the moodle features in mobiles and students could use the app to access only moodle if they want.

Hope it helps you to decide how to define your structure.

Arasp Kazemian

Yes, This is what I was thinking myself. 

I have been using Joomdle for years. Thanks for introducing the themes. 

however moodle App is very important with me. I know users will have no problem using a responsive layout but using an app has its own advantages, like Push Notifications and much more. (because I also want to connect Adobe Connect for the online classes which is an application too)

I think with these infrastructre we may bring more facilities to users. After ten years of working with Joomla and Moodle, I should confess that Moodle registration is much more robust and powerful comparing joomla. 

Joomla will be quite buggy after we install different components and plugins on it.