Installing Moodle 3.2.1 on 1and1 Hosting

Installing Moodle 3.2.1 on 1and1 Hosting

by Dave Emsley -
Number of replies: 7

I have achieved a working install of Moodle 3.2.1 on 1and1 hosting.

Method:

1. Install Moodle via the 1and1 one clickandbuild system.  This installs Moodle 3.1 into the folder  /clickandbuilds/Moodle/mymoodle
  2. Copy the config.php file.
  3. delete the contents of  /clickandbuilds/Moodle/mymoodle  EXCEPT for the /clickandbuilds/Moodle/data folder
  4. Upload Moodle 3.2.1 to the folder /clickandbuilds/Moodle/mymoodle
  5. Put your config.php back.
  6. Visit the website to complete the upgrade.

Main issue I have is that it puts the moodledata folder inside the website as /data/.   I also moved this out and edited config.php to suit this change.

I hope this helps and makes sense.

Best Regards

Dave Emsley

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dave Emsley

Re: Installing Moodle 3.2.1 on 1and1 Hosting

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Ok... but I would think very carefully before using one of these one click installers.

When it goes wrong and you're looking for advice we may not be able to help as we have no idea what the installer did. We don't even know it's unaltered Moodle code.

I would only ever advise downloading Moodle from an official source (i.e. moodle.org) and install it the "long" way. It's not especially difficult and you'll know what you did.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Dave Emsley -

Hi Howard,  Excellent point.  It *IS* an unaltered version of 3.2.1 - I know that because I uploaded it.

smile

Cheers

Dave

In reply to Dave Emsley

by SAMUEL JACQUINET -

Hello,

Thanks for sharing

I am a young teacher of physics and chemistry that begins with moodle, I have a Moodle 3.1 on its server 1 & 1.
I want do the same as you but I don't know were is the config.php file.

And can you say what exactly you did when you eddited config.php

Thanks in advance

In reply to SAMUEL JACQUINET

by Dave Emsley -

hi Sam,

The config.php file is in your Moodle site folder.

If you called the site:  MyMoodleSite then the 1and1 system puts it into:

/clickandbuild/Moodle/MyMoodleSite/config.php

The one click install does it all for you so if you have a working 3.1 copy the file, replace the folder contents with 3.2.1 and replace the above file.

NB Noticed error in the first post - moodledata folder is created as /clickandbuilds/Moodle/MyMoodleSite/data
Hope it makes more sense,

Cheers

Dave

In reply to Dave Emsley

by Dave Jarvis -

Thanks, Dave Emsley.  I have followed these steps for my Moodle 3.2.2 upgrade on 1and1 and it is working well.

In reply to Dave Emsley

by Joanna Beaver -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Dave

I too have Moodle on a 1and1 click/build and found this post really helpful. A couple of questions:

How did you upload the new version? The file size is larger than my upload limit (20Mb). 

Also, where did you put moodledata once you moved it out? Did you create a new folder structure within the click/build folder, i.e. 

Moodle 

|_Moodle3.2 

|_Moodledata

Best wishes

Jo