Mathslate: "Math Error"

Mathslate: "Math Error"

by Benoît Seutin -
Number of replies: 7

Hello everybody !

I am trying to install Mathslate plugin onto a moodle 3.2.1+ (Build: 20170119) Version 2016120501.02

MathJax 2.7 is installed

But I have trouble to get it working: the mathslate window seems to be frozen displaying the version (1.1) before to display "Math error" in red

Do you have any idea how to get rid of this problem ?

Many thanks !

Ben
Attachment mathslate 1.PNG
Attachment mathslate 2.PNG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Benoît Seutin

Re: Mathslate: "Math Error"

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Ben,

The version 1.1 in the splash refers to the Mathslate version and not to the version of MathJax. It should be compatible with MathJax 2.7.  From the screen shot it appears that MathJax is working in the tools section at the top, but has an error in the workspace below.

How do you have MathJax loaded? Is it with the filter, added to the theme, or in the settings of Mathslate for TinyMCE? Is the TinyMCE or Atto plugin? What is the MathJax configuration script?  I would check that you are not loading two different versions by accident, and try clearing the browser cache.

Daniel

In reply to Daniel Thies

by Benoît Seutin -

Hello Daniel

Thank you for your quick reply.

Mathjax seems installed correctly in the plugins list (see first screenshot).

In Mathjax configuration , its url is https://cdn.mathjax.org/mathjax/2.7-latest/MathJax.js

Mathslate is listed in the tinyMCE plugins list (see second screenshot) and I have this in its configuration (see third screenshot).

The plugin appears correctly in tinyMCE (see fourth screenshot).

I have tried to put the same Mathjax url in Mathslate configuration (with version 2.7-latest), clearing browser cache but same error.

Tell me if you see something wrong in the setup.

I send you 2 other screenshot in another message.

Cheers,

Ben

Hello Daniel

Thank you for your quick reply.

Mathjax seems installed correctly in the plugins list (see first screenshot).

In Mathjax configuration , its url is https://cdn.mathjax.org/mathjax/2.7-latest/MathJax.js

Mathslate is listed in the tinyMCE plugins list (see second screenshot) and I have this in its configuration (see third screenshot).

The plugin appears correctly in tinyMCE (see fourth screenshot).

I have tried to put the same Mathjax url in Mathslate configuration (with version 2.7-latest) but same error.

Attachment Capture du 2017-01-27 201927.png
Attachment Capture du 2017-01-27 202339.png

by Benoît Seutin -

next

Attachment Capture du 2017-01-27 202540.png
Attachment Capture du 2017-01-27 202852.png

by Daniel Thies -

Hello Ben,

I am not sure why that it is happening now. I do not think it is due to a change in Moodle or Mathslate. I have reproduced the problem. There seems to be a problem with font files downloading from CDN slowly and timing out. This may be due to a change in CDN network or in a security policy change in the browsers.

I installed a local copy of MathJax on my server, and set the TinyMCE Mathslate mathjaxurl setting to that. It seems to work fine with this configuration. 

I also found that it can be overcome by changing the math renderer in the MathJax context menu to Common-HTML instead of HTML-CSS. I think this allows more time for files to download in the background. I know this is not a practical solution for most end users.

I also have not been able to find that there is an issue with using the plugin for Atto. 

Daniel

In reply to Daniel Thies

by Daniel Thies -

I think the best suggestion at the moment might be to change the configuration so that Common HTML is the default renderer. This can be done in the default mathjaxloader configuration by changing default.js to TeX-AMS-MML_CHTML.js.

In reply to Daniel Thies

by Benoît Seutin -

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Excuse me, I am not yet quite familiar with Moodle.

Can you give me more details where I can do this change ?

Thanks,

Ben

by Daniel Thies -

This should be in the settings for the filter Site administration->Plugins->Filters->Mathjax. Then look for the script and replace accessible.is in the default script (not default.js as I said above)