Excluding Specific Quiz Questions for Specific Users

Excluding Specific Quiz Questions for Specific Users

by Becky Borello -
Number of replies: 4

We have a puzzle with Moodle quizzes.  We have a faculty member that wants to give 1 quiz.  However, within that quiz are 4 essay questions.  She only wants her students to answer 2.  Therefore, she is looking for a way to exclude/drop the 2 unanswered essay questions from their quiz...

I cannot find a solution to the above problem.  I found several workarounds, which include the following:

1. Only add 2 essay questions, but give them a response template for all 4 questions
  2. Create separate quizzes for each of the essay questions, then hide the unanswered ones in the gradebook 

However, none of these workaround please the faculty member...

Her request seems totally reasonable and I know you can exclude lowest grades in the gradebook, it seems logical to have that same functionality within a quiz...

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Becky Borello

Re: Excluding Specific Quiz Questions for Specific Users

by Blair F. -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
I have a similar predicament:  Due to some confusion, a three essay question quiz was created, but students were really only supposed to get two essay questions.  Some students completed two and some completed all three.  Now the instructor would like the best two answers for each student to be counted, and the third one to be omitted from the grade.  If I find a solution, I'll let you know!!
In reply to Blair F.

by Blair F. -

I found a workaround posted here, by Trevor Wilson!  It worked, too! Yay!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Blair F.

by Becky Borello -

Brilliant!  Thank you for finding and sharing this information!

In reply to Becky Borello

by Blair F. -

No problem! One word of warning, though:  I notice that, using this workaround, the score and grade on the quiz Review page for the students may cause them confusion.  I would recommend providing a brief explanation in the details of the quiz, otherwise the instructor is going to be inundated with panicked students.