Importing a large course from one site to another

Importing a large course from one site to another

by Peter Ho -
Number of replies: 3
Hi Moodlers,

I have backup a course on one site (server) and would like to restore it on another site (server). The size of the .zip file is 12 Mb. I was planning on uploading the file, but as there is a maximum of 2 Mb, this will not be possible.

Does anyone know of a simple way of doing this?

Peter
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Ho

Re: Importing a large course from one site to another

by Mark Stevens -
You can ftp it to the site files directory and restore it from there.
In reply to Mark Stevens

by Peter Ho -
Mark,

Can you tell me where I should unzip the files on the new site files directory? Is the directory tree the same as the tree of the .zip file?
Assuming that I managed to do that. I would I then restore the course, once inside the new site? Again I face the problem of the size of the zip  file being greater than 2 Mb.

I apologise if it seems obvious to you, but I cannot see how this can be done.  There is an import course date function, but I'm not sure if this will restore the whole site.

Peter

In reply to Peter Ho

by Mark Stevens -
No worries Peter.  I'm assuming you have FTP access to your Moodle server.  If not, you can ask your Moodle administrator.  After the .zip file is uploaded to your Moodle site's files area, which is usually /moodledata/1/, admin access can restore the .zip file through the Moodle interface.  (The .zip file can also be sent to the course files area of any course.)  Just click on "Restore"...