Compiling student progress reports

Compiling student progress reports

by Douglas McDonald -
Number of replies: 3
I am attempting to setup a Moodle site that will provide training in Applied Behavior Analysis topics. My "students" are employees of a residential mental health facility.

Part of our training requirements include that students achieve a minimum score on all quizes and lessons, and that we know the date/time that a student enrolled in a class, completed the quizzes and lessons, and completed the course. I have been writing a Microsoft Access database that will allow all of this in a variety of configurations including by group, class, student, etc. However, I have encountered a problem.

The way that Moodle timestamps each of the events described above is by assigning an integer value to the time/date. I have been unable to determine exactly what this integer value is or to develop a conversion within Microsoft Access. This makes it difficult to generate meaningful reports, as there is no real date/time that can be tied tot he event.

So, I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this issue. Is there a conversion for the integer time/date stamp? Is there perhaps a reporting tool that I am inadvertantly duplicating? Gismo looks promising in some respects, but there is not a version for Moodle 1.5X.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I would be most interested. Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Douglas McDonald

Re: Compiling student progress reports

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Douglas,

The timestamp that you describe is the number of seconds that have passed since midnight GMT on 1st January 1970. It's quite easy to convert into an actual date e.g. How To Convert a Timestamp using a spreadsheet.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Douglas McDonald -
Brilliant! Thank you very much.

This good solution, however, has lead to a second problem. The integer converts to a time and date that is 27 days off. For example, a demo student that I created and enrolled tonight (17 November) shows up as having enrolled on 21 October! I have double-checked my math and, using info on the link you provided, even found some online conversion utilities. All of these produce the same problem.

I do not know much about Unix, but could it be a server problem?

Thanks again!
In reply to Douglas McDonald

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Sorry I don't know anything about Unix, however you may use the attached file to determine your server time. Just put it in the moodle folder and browse to yourmoodlesite.org/date.php.