Advanced search in database

Advanced search in database

by Вадим Калинин -
Number of replies: 6

Hello.

I have 3 fields in my database: 1 - Status (dropdown list), 2 - Author (text field) and 3 - Name (text field). When I check the "advanced search" checkbox I can see that  initial value for Status is "custom-select" and  initial values for Author and Name is empty. I want to search all database records with Name="Dik" and any Status and Author values. But I always get zero result.  When I change field type for Status to text field, searching result becomes correct. It may be necessary to replace the dropdown initial value by null or empty, but I don`t know how to do it.

Please, help me.

With best regards, Vadim

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Вадим Калинин

Re: Advanced search in database

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

The 'Search' tab is the 'Advanced' search, and is the 'accurate' search. 

Yes, the dropdown menus have to be matched with your searched items.

To work around:

1. Remove the dropdown fields from your Advanced search template, make the form as simple as possible. Or,

2. In the 'View list' tab, unstick the 'Advanced search' checkbox to use the fuzzy search only. I like the 'one field for all' search box, it can search every field, even include the 'dropdown' items.

In reply to William Lu

by Вадим Калинин -

Thank you, William Lu, for your answer. I understood that now my task (search all records with Name = "Dik" and Status with any value) is not too simple. Perhaps in the future it will be possible?

With best regards, Vadim

In reply to William Lu

by Richard van Iwaarden -

Darn, I have the same issue here.

I made a drop down menu-item of 5 names of teachers. Now I would wish to be able to search on the name of the teacher, but this seems impossible?

Will this be fixed? Even fuzzy search doesn't pick the names up!

In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

by William Lu -

Hi Richard,

In the 'Advanced search' form, if you only search the dropdown menu (not to combine with other fields), the result should be correct.

To make the 'fuzzy search'(Quick search) can search the dropdown menu, try to remove the dropdwon menu in the 'Advanced search' form.

I think the 'Advanced search' is over too accurate, it works but requires all fields to match. To work around it, I normally only leave 2 name fields and one text fields.

HTH

In reply to William Lu

by Francisco Oyarzo -

Thank you very much for your helpful advice!

Hopefully these tips can be included as a tooltip or how to text in future versions.