How to add a course overview video?

How to add a course overview video?

by Crazy Coder -
Number of replies: 8

I am using Moodle 3.1+. I want to add a course overview video in my course. I know we can add a video as related media in lesson. Similarly can we add a video to course?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Crazy Coder

Re: How to add a course overview video?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

You can always simply add a link to the video anywhere in your moodle.  Below is an example.  If you don't like this method below (which I don't because it takes up too much space in my Moodle), you can put this on another page and then use a URL (link) Resource in Moodle.  Personally, I put all of my videos in a podcast feed and then present them in many ways on my moodle (a Flash Player, and a RSS Feed Block.)  My video that you see below is mp4, h.264 encoded.  Nothing really that special these days.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Rick Jerz -

I forgot to mention one thing.  This video is not in my Moodle.  It is on a university video server.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Crazy Coder -
I want to upload a video and show it on the course overview page. In fact, I need a  custom course overview page which is accessible by guest users. When the user clicks on the enrolment button it should take the user to the moodle enrollment page.
In reply to Crazy Coder

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You can put your video in the course description (Edit course settings) and then it will be visible by non-logged in users.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Crazy Coder -

Which URL can be used to access course description?  Course summary is under  section 'description' which is not accessible for non-logged in users.

In reply to Crazy Coder

by Rick Jerz -

Go into the course, Edit Settings, and you will see the summary section.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Crazy Coder -
I mean for the guest user.
In reply to Crazy Coder

by Rick Jerz -

This summary information should show on your Moodle frontpage, even if a student is not logged in.  They might need to know to click on the Information icon (to the right). Here is how my Frontpage looks before anyone logs in.

There may be other ways of doing this.  Others here on moodle.org might offer other ideas.

If you happen to visit my Moodle, you can see that I provide links to the course's Syllabus and Course Calendar.  

Attachment frontpage.jpg