Upgraded to 3.2.1, in mobile app, Audio not playing

Upgraded to 3.2.1, in mobile app, Audio not playing

by Rekha C -
Number of replies: 5

I upgraded the moodle site to 3.2.1 from 2.9.3 and also made a custom app, android.

All seemed fine. Audio files had been embedded with the Media icon, and showed as a hyperlink in the app and opened in the mobile's audio player. 

Now, in the app, instead of a hyperlink, I see a black box with a white arrow, and the audio files DO NOT PLAY on clicking this black box.

I have tried in my custom app (2.9.3 and 3.2.1) and the official moodle mobile app latest version also.  The media player in the website plays the audio.

I also restored a backup course, but audio files do not play. 

When I upload an audio file, it does not play in the app.

I have maybe 15,000 audio files in various courses.

Please tell me, have audio settings changed in 3.2.1 ?

How can I get audio files to play in the mobile app - 

URGENT

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rekha C

Re: Upgraded to 3.2.1, in mobile app, Audio not playing

by Rekha C -

I tried audio in a fresh 3.2.1 install, but the audio does not play in moodle mobile app.

However, a new audio player shows up on 'insert moodle media' with 3 tabs Video Audio ...

In the upgrade, this new audio player VideoJS player does not show, even though it is enabled in multimedia player settings

Does anyone know what are the site settings?

In reply to Rekha C

by Rekha C -
The VideoJS player is now showing with 3 tabs. 

I have tried with moodle site 2.6, 3.1. and 3.2.1 in the latest moodle mobile app android on playstore, mp3 audio files show a square black box with a white arrow which is not clickable and does not play audio. 

Anyone please help - in moodle 3.1 and 3.2 series, how can audio be embedded to show in the mobile app? 

In reply to Rekha C

by Rekha C -

Update: In samsung tab android OS 5.1.1 all audio are playing.

On android smartphone OS 4.2 and 4.4 audio are not playing.

Are there any type of device settings? 

In reply to Rekha C

by Rekha C -
I found a solution with clues from https://www.umass.edu/it/support/moodle/embed-video-or-audio-a-moodle-page

In 3.2.1, move the order of the media players to have HTML5 on top and VideoJS next.

Upload a new audio file, in Save as enter a file name, in the VideoJS Tab give a LABEL name, Save.

For existing audio files, select the audio filed from the moodle respository Embedded files, instead of uploading again, in the VideoJS Tab give a LABEL name, Save.

Now, in my smartphones with android 4.2 and 4.4 the audio player works.

In the tab with android OS 5.1, audio files were playing already, perhaps they are compatible with html5.

For me, it means uploading 15,000 audio file and adding LABELS.

Moodle admins - is there a way instead of redoing 15,000 audio files?

In reply to Rekha C

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If you use the PoodLL or VideoEasy filters to handle the audio files, then you can specify alternative html tags to to display the media files on mobile. In this way you can centralise the display logic, so that you do not need to alter 15000 audio file embeds.

PoodLL and VideoEasy use user editable templates to make the players that handle the media. You might choose as a template  "mediaelement audio" preset.  That would use that player on browsers, but in the case of the Moodle mobile app it will instead deliver standard html5 audio tags. You can see these in the "alternate content" fields at the bottom of the template. If that works out of the box for you, that would be good. But you should be able to alter those template fields to get just the output what you want. 

Some docs are here for Poodll, 

https://poodll.com/poodll-3-docs/templates-and-bundles/

but the same applies to VideoEasy.