Future major features

Community Meeting re: Office integrations

Me!
Community Meeting re: Office integrations
Group Core developersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

Hi all,

Having looked at what the community has done for Google Apps, and Office 365 - we have been doing some brainstorming in HQ about a core implementation.

We have some ideas we would like to discuss so are holding an open meeting for the community to attend this Wednesday. Its very hard to select one time that suits everyone so hopefully this will cover most.

We will be using ZOOM for the discussion, which works on all devices.

Date:  Jan 25, 2017 4:00 PM GMT

This is at 8am PST, 11am EST, 4pm GMT, and midnight in Perth

You can join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/604102893

We look forward to seeing you there.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Re: Community Meeting re: Office integrations
Group Core developersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

Would you be able to outline what the 'problem' is, so we can think about it before the meeting.

It seems we already have effective implementations as plugins. Implementing things as plugins is good. Why do we need to do anything (other that possibly put the plugins in core)?

I assume I don't know about some issue. Thanks if you can explain.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of Jaswinder Singh
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Hi Tim,

Your questions are right but as far as I came to know - Martin spoke about integrating google apps and Office 365 in an interview:

One of the priorities for the next version of Moodle is the integration with Google Apps and Office 365,” he said. 
“This means schools will have the benefit of working with documents collaboratively in those environments, but also having them within the LMS in a way where all of the permissions are synchronised and part of activities.”
For example, if a teacher wants to share a private spreadsheet with their class, they can simply post it into their Moodle course and the entire class will immediately have access to it.
Dougiamas pointed out that currently, teachers need to add students’ permissions individually.
“Group handling is really rough and there’s no synchronisation with other tools,” he said.

Source: http://www.educatoronline.com.au/news/big-things-on-the-horizon-for-edutech-giant-226070.aspx

Damyon can share further details about the meeting.

Regards

Jaswinder Singh

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Me!
Group Core developersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

Thanks for linking to that interview - its useful background information.

The purpose of the meeting will be to have a discussion about whats good and bad about the existing integrations, and ideas about what the requirements should be for an ideal office integration (I would like us to focus on requirements and avoid talking about solutions or whats possible/easy/hard to achieve).

Martin Dougiamas
Group Core developersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

The starting point is that Moodle must integrate well with these systems, because a lot of places are coming to depend on them and both Google and Microsoft have products called Classroom that aim to replace Moodle's richness with a dumbed-down idea of an LMS and online learning.

The second point is that the existing integrations out there (partly because of the plugin constraints) are not very good at all, and currently make Moodle look like a poor option.

Average of ratings: Useful (5)
Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Group Core developersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

Thanks for the clarifications.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Nadav Kavalerchik
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Hi Moodlers,

Missed that virtual meeting (keep happening to me sad , must pull my head off the code more often wink ) , so hope there is a recorded agenda for that meeting or some wiki dev doc?

Anyways, I would like to share a working prototype of a new Moodle Google drive module I developed which is being used for a few months now. https://github.com/nadavkav/moodle-mod_googledrive

The module lets the teacher create a Google drive document (you can choose from several generic types) from within Moodle and also sets its permissions for all enrolled students in that course.

One major caveat, is that I had to use up to date Google Drive SDK, as Moodle 3.1's Google libraries did not have the required APIs for this module to work. and so I am getting the ENTIRE SDK with composer, which is a loooot of MB sad

Looking forward for some advice about this, from you fellow developers smile

BTW, I am working on two feedback requests I already got:

(1) Be able to choose an already available document

(2) Share the document manually by the teacher, at a later time. (after the teacher put some content into the document, and not immediately as the module was added to the course)

Google drive in Moodle

---

Google drive document setting in Moodle

Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup TestersGroup Translators

And also...

A Google Hangout block, for all enrolled students in the course, or a selected few (you choose)

https://github.com/nadavkav/moodle-block_google_hangout

Moodle Google Hangout block

Amazing & awkward... 

While researching the web to see what Moodle portfolio plugins are out there, and finding UK Open university "Moodle Portfolio activity" (which btw uses Google's collections/folders),  I also Just found out that they already developed a similar plugin to the one I developed above, back in 2011:

Google Collaborative activity

Picture of Ross Lovell

Office365 integration in Moodle's core is something my school is very interested in.

While at the BETT Show last week we were able to see a demonstration of Microsoft Classroom and were impressed with how easy it was to use within Office 365. All of the student/teacher documents from OneDrive, class and form groups, SharePoint resources etc where just there and it worked out of the box without any friction.

I've been reading through Office365 Moodle documentation and the shear number of steps you have to go through to get it to work makes my head spin.

Given the investment we've put into Moodle this would solve a number of issues for us and would be a welcome addition.

It's a shame that I was away otherwise I'd have attended the open meeting. Will there be a write up regarding the discussion? My line manager is interested in knowing how this will work and any potential timescales you have in mind.

Picture of Stephen Bourget
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

Ross,

It looks like the Moodle HQ team has started putting together a specification document here:

https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Better_Office_Integrations_3.3

HTH,

-Steve

Picture of Richard Oelmann
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

Yes, there are already plugins to enable the integrations, but HQ are now discussing making it a core feature.

Looking forward to it!

Picture of Chris Kenniburg
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

Sorry we missed the discussion.  I was hoping to attend. 

We are a K-12 district that is also a Google district.  We utilize both Google Classroom and Moodle in our environment.  

The simplicity of doing the "paper shuffle" which replicates how teachers are already comfortable collecting assignments is a selling point of Google Classroom. It puts all the documents into a folder on their drive with the name of the assignment with all the work in there.

The other feature that is alluring to Classroom is the way students enroll via a simple code.  It would be nice if in Moodle each course created also had a unique code which could be typed into a searchbox on the Moodle homepage and takes the user to the enrollment page of the course.  Kinda like how schoology & classroom works.  I've often wondered how easy this would be to make on our own if possible using an enrollment plugin and theme.

Having access to and ability to utilize Google Docs from repositories is most useful.  And we are not talking about a RTF download of a Google Doc.  It would be nice to see the embedded editable document viewer as seen in the plugin posted here.  

Making Google drive respect the user permissions of Moodle would also be ideal for sharing, editing, etc.  

These are just a few thoughts I had in looking at this discussion.  

Picture of Richard Oelmann

"each course created also had a unique code which could be typed into a searchbox on the Moodle homepage and takes the user to the enrollment page of the course."

I think you can do this if you iInstall the Quick Course Find block - you can search by course name or shortname and it will give you a link to the course which will take you into the course, or to its enrolment page smile

https://moodle.org/plugins/block_quickcourselist

Steven Parker (sparkerED)

"The other feature that is alluring to Classroom is the way students enroll via a simple code.  It would be nice if in Moodle each course created also had a unique code which could be typed into a searchbox on the Moodle homepage and takes the user to the enrollment page of the course.  Kinda like how schoology & classroom works."

@Chris Kenniburg Good observation about Classroom and suggestion for Moodle. 

Me!

Just confirming - the requirements for this project and some info on the implementation is listed in this document: 

https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Better_Office_Integrations_3.3

This has been updated based on the feedback we got from the community meeting - thanks to all who attended. 

We will be starting work on this project soon.

If anyone has feedback or questions - please put them in this dicussion: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=346085 (In the office integrations forum).

Average of ratings: Useful (4)