Teaching with Moodle

looking for activity type with each step requiring approval

Picture of rob mock
looking for activity type with each step requiring approval

Science teacher trying to add an inquiry-based lab writeup to course. 

Been using a guide document in Google docs for students to follow process:
(make an observation=>ask a question=>design an experiment=> and so on)

My problem is that some kids get approval for their idea, then blast through process, making errors and end up turning in a poor paper.  I want to approve or comment on each step for them, so that once I do, the next step becomes available.  Kids are in groups of 2 or 3.

Which Moodle activity/resource would be my best option?  Have looked at using forum and database, but the fit doesn't feel right.  Should I look at dialogue?  Maybe lesson somehow?  Journal?  Or should I keep it on paper and try to tie it to Moodle after they write in the guide document (time consuming)?

Attaching pdf of what I'm using now

Picture of rob mock
Re: looking for activity type with each step requiring approval

Idea:  Make each step of the process a quiz with one essay question.   I'd manually grade each submission, which would open the next step.  This keeps it all in Moodle (happy!) and forces students to have my approval  for each successive step.  

Been using Moodle for this class for 4 years and have zero experience with essay questions.  

Could this be a best-bet for me?  I plan to try this immediately, but am always looking for suggestions!

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Richard Oelmann
Re: looking for activity type with each step requiring approval
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

Doesn't necessarily have to be a quiz.

Set each step up as a separate activity - could be a quiz, but I would probably use an assignment submission (using online text) - works well for group submissions too.

Then use conditional release for the next step - based on activity completion for the previous step. Activity completion could be based on achieving a certain grade, or just based on you (teacher) confirming its been done/complete.

With an assignment submission, if its not good enough, you can reopen it/revert it to draft with whatever feedback you have given the group to improve it.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)