Cohorts and permissions

Cohorts and permissions

by nayna valand -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

We have a Library module to which all staff have access to it through a cohort(all staff cohort). They are assigned as a student onto the Library module through the cohort. 

However, library staff need to be able to edit this module so I have also enrolled them as a teacher onto the module to allow editing. They now have two roles student and teacher. This however does not allow them to edit the module. The student role is overriding the teacher role. 

How can I enable the teacher role to override the student cohort role in the module. I've tried setting the override safe permissions to allow on the permissions list but this does not seem to resolve the issue. I can't remove them from the cohort as this cohort allows access to other modules as well.

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to nayna valand

Re: Cohorts and permissions

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello,

Is your student role customised at all, with some capabilities prohibited? It should work fine to assign your library staff the role of teacher as well as student - it should give them editing rights to the course, unless capabilities have been set to prohibit for the student role.

If you wish, you can test things out on our Moodle sandbox demo site. Log in as admin and assign the student account the role of teacher in a course and then log out and log in as the student to check whether you have editing rights.

In reply to Helen Foster

by nayna valand -

Hi Helen,

We do have customised capabilities for all our roles, some of which are prohibited. I think i'm going to have to go through the capabilities and compare them to the default to find out which ones I need to update.

Thanks for the advice!

In reply to nayna valand

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Good plan Nayna!

Please note that it's actually rare that you need to prohibit a capability. Normally it is sufficient to just not set it in the role definition or to prevent it at course or activity level.