Blocks are in my footer of my course

Blocks are in my footer of my course

by Brenda Kletke -
Number of replies: 9

Hello

One of my teachers has moved their blocks (all of them) in to her footer.  But just for one course.  They show properly for all the other courses.  I can not figure out how she did this or or to fix it.  Can anyone help?

Thanks

Attachment 2017-01-15_21-04-59.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brenda Kletke

Re: Blocks are in my footer of my course

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Some themes do allow blocks to be displayed in the footer, but it looks as though you’re using the Clean theme and blocks don’t appear in the footer of that theme.

I don’t think they’re 'moved', like a block would normally be moved. I suspect it’s a rogue styling issue. Has the teacher added any html, even through copy/paste? If so, a misplaced <div> without a closing </div> (or vice-versa) could cause the block region to 'move'.

by Brenda Kletke -

If the teacher changed the html it was by accident.  How could I check this and and view the html and fix it, if this is the problem?

Thanks for your help.

Brenda

by Jon Bolton -

It could be anywhere in that course. You can view it by turning the html editor on (it’s the button with the <> in the editor toolbar.

html editor button

Check the course summary, section summaries and labels as a starter. Can you post a screenshot of the full page?

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Brenda Kletke -

The page is too long to post the entire page.  sad  This teacher is just learning how to use Moodle so the course is not very compact. 

So if I understand you correctly, I have to look at the HTML for each label, section she has created?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Try this:

• turn on the editing in your course
  • click on the edit icon of a topic summary that seems to work in her course
  • Go up to the url at the top of your screen – look at the number at the very end  in the address bar
  • It will probably be something like http://YOURMOODLESITE.com/course/editsection.php?id=12
  • The last number is the topic summary number that you are in at present. Type in different numbers near that one until you get to the topic summary that has been corrupted (don’t worry if you end up in a totally different course – just keep changing the number at the end until you get to the “broken” summary with the bad HTML
  • When you get to it, delete everything by clicking on the code view icon, rather than doing it in the WYSIWYG editor. Save changes – and you should then have a working topic summary with an edit icon you can click on.

If that doesn't solve it, then your problem is with a label and not a topic section summary, In that case see Label FAQ

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Brenda Kletke -
Is there any way to tell the HTML is bad? or do I just have to look for the missing /div command?

Thanks for your help

by Brenda Kletke -

I solved my problem.  I just created a copy of the course and began deleting things until my page appeared correctly.  That told me which activity was creating the issue.  Then I deleted activity from the course page and everything is working again.

Thanks for all your help.

Brenda

by Jon Bolton -

Ah good, glad it's sorted. It would be useful to know which activity was to blame - were we on the right tracks? 

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Brenda Kletke -

The activity was the Lesson activity.. but the teacher just used only the first page and posted a lot of information.  I am not sure what the HTLM code was that was causing the issue.  I deleted some text at the bottom of the lesson page and everything went back to normal. smile So yes we were on the right track.. It was one of the activities causing the problem.

thanks for all your help.