Usability

Marking Page Much Too Narrow

Picture of Paul Troop
Marking Page Much Too Narrow

The marking page that I have takes up a tiny amount of the screen (50%?) meaning that I have to scroll left and right to read the rubric. This is incredibly annoying, particularly as if I scroll too far, my browser interprets this as 'back' so I leave the page and loose the work. It is not possible to resize the rubric. Is there anything that can be done? It is very frustrating. See attached for an example.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Mary Cooch
Re: Marking Page Much Too Narrow
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Do you mean the rubric? If you click the icon top right -as here:

then you can expand it on the grading screen as here:

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Paul Troop

Thank you for your response Mary! Unfortunately, popping out the rubric leaves it just as small (see attached).

Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

What is your theme? MIne display large in the centre of the screen with the 'More' theme.

Picture of Paul Troop

Thanks Mary. I'm not sure what my theme is. Where do I find it? I should add that I am not the technical person who set the moodle page up, but I am sure I can find it out.

Mary Cooch

I would ask your administrator.

Picture of Marcus Green
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

As a test, try adding &theme=clean to the URL. If your site is setup to allow a theme change like that the appearance will change to a basic layout and you may be able to tell if the theme is the problem.

Picture of Paul Troop

Thanks Marcus. I've tried that, but it seems to make no change to either the appearance, or the rubric being too narrow.

Picture of AL Rachels
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Hi Paul,

From comparing the look of my dev site while using a rubric, I would say that your theme is Boost. I have noted in other places and plugins that Boost seems to render things much narrower than other themes do. As an example, the onscreen keyboard layout for the typing tutor, MooTyper, the key tops look much smaller rendered by Boost than they do when rendered by Clean.

Picture of William Stewart

I've noticed this in a few places with Moodle 3.2 (I'm on a plus build) where certain things are definitely narrower. I thought this might have had to do with our theme, and our developer noticed that Moodle 3.2 seems to think there are 3 columns of content instead of 2 in a few places- we noticed this on our quizzes where the question blocks were nicely centered but squished everything. He had to take a look a write a line of CSS to override that. (I posted about this in the quiz activity section last week).

Additionally, I noticed that same phenomenon this morning on the Advanced Forum (I was in the processing of removing it any way in favor of the default Moodle forum activity) that had the same formatting issue.

I've also noticed this with the media player plugins that ship with 3.2. It will center the mp3 player on the page which is unimportant in some instances (i.e. a quiz, pages with audio files on them) but rather strange in others. For example, if I create a resource for an mp3 file on a course page, but also embed the same file in the resource description and have it displayed on the course page, it is super way off to the right.

We are currently using the Poodll filter for media files which works absolutely fine, but I was seeing what the default ones were like and it's slightly problematic. I converted our theme to Boost but then it wasn't rendering the file links in the player- I have to go and re-embed them I think (but there's a lot of that to do!).

Picture of Paul Troop

Thanks all for your help and comments. The information from our IT helpdesk is as follows:

'The theme in use presently is UCL's own in-house version which is a combination of the "Clean" (see: https://docs.moodle.org/31/en/Standard_themes) and "Essential" themes. It is not possible to change the theme. But, even if you could, it does not change the appearance of the rubric in the Moodle assignment. Hence, I'm afraid that the suggestion that I made below is only possible solution to your problem even though it isn't ideal.

There is currently a Digital Education and Disability Services team looking into accessibility and Moodle more generally and I have passed on your dissatisfaction with the display of rubrics in Moodle assignments to them. However, if a change to the layout is possible, it's unlikely to happen before next academic year. If there are any other accessibility/display issues with Moodle that you would like to see addressed please log them via Remedyforce with the Summary title, "Accessibility and Moodle" and we will pass them on to the team.

I don't think that the theme is affecting the way the rubric is displayed as such. It is just how the Moodle assignment has been designed to display it. However, if you open a student submission using the Grade button you may notice a "Zoom in/out of Region" icon/button with 4 outward pointing arrows (see screenshot attached). If you click on that icon your rubric will open in a pop-up window and although you can't enlarge it, you can use the scroll bars much more easily to get a much better view of your multiple row and column rubric.'

To be honest, I don't really understand why it's not possible to enlarge the rubric. It seems like a very basic thing that makes a lot of difference to usability. The rubric is a great system for marking, but having to scroll backwards and forwards each line is frustrating and makes marking a bit of a chore.

Picture of Paul Troop

Does anybody have any other thoughts? Anything that can be done? I have another series of marking to do, and it is very frustrating having to do it like this.

Picture of Eoin Campbell
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

I agree that it is very irritating for even average-sized rubrics. I added the following CSS as a customisation to the Essential theme to get around this problem.

/* Grading for rubrics  - make the KDSC marking rubric table wide for tutors to use */
.path-mod-assign .fullwidth[data-region="grade-panel"] [data-region="grade"] { max-width:none;}

Unfortunately if you don't have administration rights, you cannot edit the customisation, but you could always ask the administrators to add it in.

If that doesn't work, and you are feeling brave, you could try opening your browser developer window (Firefox link), and adding the line in the "{ } Style Editor" tab (in Firefox). This overrides the default theme setting, and works while you have the developer window open. 

Presumably it is just as irritating for students when reviewing their marks, so the following CSS fixes the issue for them.

/* Make the grade rubric wide for students to see it better */
.gradingform_rubric: width: 1300px;

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Paul Troop

Thanks Eoin! I'll send this to the administrators and see if anybody can implement this change. I'll keep you posted on what they say!

Picture of Paul Troop

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, IT have added the code suggested, but it has had no effect. Here is their response:

'Hi Paul,
I have tried to add the additional CSS you suggested; unfortunately it has no effects.

Best wishes'

With typical helpfulness, they have closed the sorry request!

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Picture of Karen Shackleford-Cesare

Hi Paul,

The theme we're currently using on UCL Moodle is custom built by an external contractor, which may have elements based on early Bootstrap and other themes. So the fixes proposed for specific themes may not work, in their original form, on our Moodle installation.

But, I'll share this information with my colleagues and see if these suggested remedies can be tested.

More anon,

Karen

Picture of Stuart Lamour
Particularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Hi Paul - thanks for raising this, and i get the feeling Rubric are not just an issue for yourself, but for many students/teachers. 

I came across the same issues when trying to improve the Assignment page usability in general https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=349021

In real world examples i've been exploring the rubric text are often very difficult to read, and having to scroll horizontally is pretty common for students and teachers, even at full width users with a large screens. 

Currently the rubric is using an html table for layout. 

Unfortunately this means the arbitrary amount of text, combined with the arbitrary number of horizontal boxes of arbitrary width and height, can very quickly lead to poor usability of the rubric in any theme. The table layout is also not great for accessibility - but that's a whole different forum post...

Currently experimenting with displaying vertically.

which seems to work better, but very much work in progress.

I'll try post some ideas for making rubric less terrible in the Assignment module usability refinements thread when i get a chance.

Thanks again

Stuart

Picture of Paul Troop

Thanks Stuart for your efforts. I agree, the rubric system is surprisingly bad. I hope it can be fixed very soon. Keep up the good work!